Question for you insurance types

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the story, kinda long but I'll keep it as short as possible. Hail storm end of May, beginning of June, whenever. Had a couple of roofing companies check it, has damage, may/may not be enough to total. Call back in the fall, re-check if more damage has showed up after more weather. About 3-4 weeks go by, every house surrounding mine gets roofs totalled, decide to file claim. 3rd party adjuster(not my insurance company) comes out, writes up some of the gutters, garage door, and repairs for roof/ridge cap replacement. Insurance company sends check, minus deductible. (Timeframe is now the beginning of August) I get 2 estimates for each item, each estimate is higher than what insurance paid. 2 roofers who previously said repairs now say total replacement. I file supplement. 1 month passes, never hear from insurance company. After making several calls, finally get a return call. Insurance company is sending another adjuster(read as: a different guy than the 1st to get another set of eyes on it) out to meet with roofer to discuss extent of damages. Here's where it gets iffy to me. My neighbor was in his back yard(unknown to roofer/adjuster) and said they were not on the roof more than 5 minutes, acted like old friends or have had previous meetings, and the adjuster(actually same one as the first time) said flat out "I'm not paying for a roof for this house", roofer caved/changed his mind on what needed done, they discussed their story to tell me, shook hands, I arrived home at this point and cought a small part of the conversation, seemed fishy to me as they got quiet, seemed surprised when I showed up(I didn't tell them I would be there). Any opinions on a course of action? I've already discussed some of the other issues(minor things, money for garage door/guttering paint) with my agent, but am awaiting his call on this issue.

Mgarza_a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a different roofing company? Most salesman during a storm will have dealings with the same adjuster on several houses. So its not uncommon for them to know each other. I own a seamless gutter company and I can tell you that even since the first of august material costs have risen.

As far as quotes being higher than what insurance paid, are you taking into account the deductible? Or is it that the price per square is higher than what the insurance is willing to pay?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a different roofing company? Most salesman during a storm will have dealings with the same adjuster on several houses. So its not uncommon for them to know each other. I own a seamless gutter company and I can tell you that even since the first of august material costs have risen.

As far as quotes being higher than what insurance paid, are you taking into account the deductible? Or is it that the price per square is higher than what the insurance is willing to pay?

Deductible has been accounted for. Insurance pays a barely over $4 a foot for guttering(removal and install), estimates were $4.75-5.00 a foot, for painting the garage door I was given $50, estimates were $160-225. I'm planning on getting another opinion from a new roofer, just call and say "come check out my roof and let me know what you think needs done." But I thought I had that with the 2 that said it needs replaced. I'm just not trusting this 3rd party adjuster, I'd rather the insurance company send on of their actual adjusters out.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How old is your roof?

Carriers have different guidelines for hits per square for slope replacement, and every roofer is going to want to total your roof ($$$). So it's possible your roofers were bulls^^&ing and the adjuster just called them on it.
If you can prove that you're exceeding their hits/sq for slope replacement, send it to them.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If all else fails, google "public adjusters Oklahoma". You should make yourself knowledgable as to how public adjusters work and what it might cost you, but they work for you, not the insurance company.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be sure and check on getting Class 4 Impact resistant shingles. They are expensive, but will probably reduce your insurance cost a bunch. The pay back time for me was about 3 years.

Mgarza_a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deductible has been accounted for. Insurance pays a barely over $4 a foot for guttering(removal and install), estimates were $4.75-5.00 a foot, for painting the garage door I was given $50, estimates were $160-225. I'm planning on getting another opinion from a new roofer, just call and say "come check out my roof and let me know what you think needs done." But I thought I had that with the 2 that said it needs replaced. I'm just not trusting this 3rd party adjuster, I'd rather the insurance company send on of their actual adjusters out.

There is no reason you could not get the gutter for $4.00 a foot. I wish I could get those kind of prices. Is the roofing company giving you the estimates? If so, remember that they are "playing general contractor" in order to recieve the 20% on your claim for contracting fees. You can always have them only estimate the roof and sub out the rest of the work yourself.

The insurance company will always lowball the amount owed and or the cost of materials. As for the painting, the $50 is in no way going to pay for a professional to come. If you need any references I can give you a couple that I know to be honest. I work with about 20 of them. As lightning said it is possible the rooofer is playing BS, however the age of your roof also comes into play with the shingles used. Do they still offer your exact color and style? If not it will look like patchwork.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they still offer your exact color and style? If not it will look like patchwork.

It might if you're patching a slope, but if you're doing a whole slope then it might not.

It can suck when it happens, but the insurance company is rarely on the hook to put down the same exact color and style when part of something is damaged.

Latest posts

Top Bottom