Question re leasing farm land for cattle grazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More specifically, I have some idle acreage and a local rancher expressed some interest in leasing it to graze some of his cattle.

Is there an online source for standard contracts for such?

Who is responsible for maintaining the fences? Him or me?

If his bull gets out and kills a horse on an adjacent property, who is liable?

Etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure they have insurance and it covers accidents. Who maintains the ground and fences? Term? Who mows? What if they cut hay and do no mineral replacements? Hunting rights? What if they use it as a four wheeler park (limitations of use spelled in lease/rental agreement).

I have seen both very good and horrible. As in where did all this pollution come from and what happened to all my barns and water. Also see the place across from me. Fertilizer every year, best fences for miles (lease holder installed them), healthy cattle, 200 acres of well kept land.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve rented land before and none of the people I rented from ever needed nor asked me if I had insurance. I understand the need for it but if you ask a lessee to have insurance, most probably won’t have it or get it.
That's because Oklahoma has laws that protect the landowner if they allow sport hunting, leasing, etc that homeowners in a city environment don't have.
Example, if someone hunting on your property with permission breaks a leg by slipping or something, they can't sue the landowner.(in most cases)
In town if your kid leaves a toy in the yard and someone trips on it, they can sue the homeowner for medical damages.
When we lease our farmlands and pastures the contract requires the lessee to maintain the property, fix erosion issues, use common agricultural practices with the landowner controlling hunting and fishing access.
Any environmental issues like an oil spill, etc. are the responsibility of the lessee to fix and repair back to normal agricultural standards. Meaning if they have a spill on a tank battery, they have to restore the land back to where crops can be planted and thrive where the spill occurred.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I lease out land they are responsible for fence maintenance cost, if it’s not suitable they can rebuild it at there expense.
If its not your bull its not your problem, most generally “old school” farmers will deny the animal if it’s struck by a car or causes any damage since OK is still considered “open range”. The only way someone can/could try and sue is if the animal is branded/tagged. That would go back to the person that owns it, sorta like if a neighbors dog bites someone on your place it’s not your dog or fault.
Talk to your local farm bureau, I have a “huge dollar” amount of coverage and it’s about $350/yr with a low deductible for all my tractors, trailers and land.
https://www.okfarmbureau.org/

Latest posts

Top Bottom