Question: Security Camera Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to hook up a small security camera system on the exterior of my house. My requirements are to be able to view them remotely, to save video when motion is detected to a computer, and to be wireless. Radio Shack has one but it only allows one wireless and one wired camera. D-Link looks like they have some interesting setups. I am looking for something on the economical side that can be hidden without too much effort.

Does anyone have any experience with these and have any recommendations?

royallbinky

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D-Link cameras are good from the network and recording to computer, but make sure you check the resolution and zoom capability on the cameras. Sam's club sometimes has packages that are relatively economical and you can see them in operation.

slade1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can say from experience, don't buy unless you can see the camera in action. There are huge variations in picture quality even in systems made by the same company. Night owl has some good systems but again big differences in quality of their models. DVR is a big plus if you go that way.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is all about the resolution of the cameras. Virtually everyone has a system that will basically do what you are asking, you just have to decide on what kind of picture you need and a budget you want to stay under. Sure, the $300 systems work good and can show you that someone walks up to your front door, but a $1500 system will tell you that the person at your front door has a goatee and a mole on his left cheek. I am not sure exactly where you are located, but I sell and install the higher dollar systems or the cheaper if that is what the customer needs. PM me your budget and exactly what you are wanting to see and I can help send you in the right direction.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Axis cameras (more pricey than hongkong junk, but worth it)
2. Milestone 'GO' software (FREE download from world leader in VMS)
3. a PoE switch, to run power & data to your cameras via Cat5
4. a wifi router, if you must connect via wifi (not recommended)
5. your NVR/ old beater garage desktop computer
6. a good DDNS subscription (for remote viewing)

You can easily put together a 4 camera 'superior-than-chinese-crap-in-a-box' system for around $700.

Latest posts

Top Bottom