Questions about a 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shucky

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 10/22 and am VERY excited about it. There is one thing that is bugging me about it though. I really don't think the rings are mounted right. I don't think it should sit off the receiver over the barrel but it does. Is this correct? Can I install just regular rings or do I need use this type, is one better than the other? Also someone filled in the letters with gold of some kind and its not really my thing, any ideas on how to get it off? Thanks in advance.

[Broken External Image]

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's a mount base that is secured by 2 screws in the top of the reciever. You can get a dovetail mount that the rings clamp to that sits lower but you'll have to make sure you'll have clearance for the front of the scope.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As PD said, that's not the Ruger base... but you should still be able to use it.

And for some reason, it looks lik it's only mounted with the front screws... I'd take it off and mount it properly, using both ends.

As for the gold, Hoppes should take it off with a little light scrubbing with a nylon brush.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 10/22 and I just put on a 3-9x50mm scope. I have the 10/22 base the above people mentioned, and it works perfectly. I was concerned that the 50mm wouldn't fit, but it does, as long as I fold down the rear iron sight.

The 10/22 is a sweet gun!

Shucky

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do I mount it with the front screws. I don't think it looks right either, that's why I am concerned about it. Can I get different rings and use that base?

redleg45

Marksman
Reaction score
It is an excellent mount (expensive) and appears to be mounted correctly. If you need a different height ring, you can get them from most dealers that sell Leopold products. Recommend you take the gun and the scope that you intend to mount into the shop you buy the rings from and make sure that they are the proper height.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does your rail have four holes in it? I would just move it back if you can, will the holes line up?

If nothing else, I'd just pick up a factory Ruger one... I can't imagine they would be much more the $10 off ebay or something. Use some blue locktight on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom