Ranger Point Precision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that would be sweet. Thanks for sharing. I love lever guns. I have a couple 336s in 3030. The gun I learned to shoot on is a Marlin 39a Mountie 22LR built in 1961. Was my dads first gun as well.

It'd be fun to pick up an 1894 with a 16" barrel chambered in 9mm suppressed. Would probably make an exceptional host.
I'll take one in 10mm!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
RANGER POINT PRECISIONCUSTOM GUNS6.5 GRENDEL AR-15 HAND-BUILTLEVERECON ALL WEATHER HUNTING RIFLEMARLIN 1894 PISTOL-CALIBER SHORT STROKEMARLIN 336 .35 REM to .36 RPP CONVERSIONMARLIN 336 AI or AX .308ME CONVERSIONMARLIN CLASSICSEMI-AUTO HANDGUNSPARTS & ACCESSORIESSTOREGUNSMITHINGFIT & FINISHBLOGABOUT US

MY SHOPPING CART ITEMS 0

Business Hours: 10am - 5pm (Tues. - Fri.) 10am - 3pm (Sat.)

Marlin 1894 45ACP Short Stroke

9/9

Marlin 1894 Pistol Caliber,

Short Stroke Carbines

Share Handgun Ammo; Self Defense Levergun; Brush Guide Gun

Marlin 1894 Short Stroke, Pistol Caliber Lever Action in one of the following: .9MM, .10MM, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .44 RIPSAW, .45 ACP, .45 Cowboy, .327 Federal, or .357 SIG

While RPP is not the first to successfully master the Marlin 1894 short stroke conversion to run semi-auto pistol cartridges, it would seem we are one of only a handful of custom shops doing so.

As the cowboys of the Old West proved, having a rifle and handgun chambered in the same cartridge is super convenient - carry one type of ammo in one box or cartridge belt.

These guns are all about speed, magazine capacity, and cowboy cool. It makes a great defensive weapon for those who live in areas where defensive handguns or AR "black guns" are prohibited. And, because they are chambered in common semi-auto pistol cartridges, they make pretty darn good home defense weapons as well. Unlike a .44 magnum, for example, a .45 ACP will not go through both an intruder and several walls to kill a neighbor.

While revolver cartridges are excellent, many modern shooters prefer a semi-automatic handgun. As such, we've decided to offer caliber conversions in common semi-auto pistol calibers. We've worked with Douglas Barrels to develop Marlin profiled pistol caliber barrels that are highly accurate.

Pistol caliber carbines are light, handy and perfect for close range shooting as well as have some other real advantages: typically they recoil much less, hold more ammo, and are far quieter than high-power rifles.

1894 Big Loop Levers!

Designed to emulate Marlin 444 performance

in the lighter and handier 1894 platform.

Steyr Arms

A-1 Pistols

(9MM, 40 S&W)

Short Stroke Blog post

CONVERSIONS COMPLETED IN12 - 14 WEEKS

Our conversions are not warmed over factory rifles, but are married from the action up to your caliber of choice. All critical parts are modified to produce an 1894 carbine that runs these shorter semi-auto pistol cartridges faster, smoother, more accurately, and more reliably than a factory rifle.

Here’s how:

Faster: Every one of our semi-auto 1894 pistol caliber carbines includes a short stroke conversion. This means that you move the lever significantly less to cycle the action, resulting in faster follow-up shots.

Smoother: Every one of our conversions includes our full action and trigger treatment, for the lightest, slickest action possible.

Accurate: Our conversions are built with quality Douglas barrel blanks, individually chambered, concentric to the bore, and perfectly head-spaced to your chosen cartridge. In addition, our accurizing service can deliver 3 - 5 shots in sub-MOA accuracy at 100 yards (many times 1/2 in MOA).

Reliable: Because every action part is modified and/or hand tuned, your converted pistol caliber carbine will run flawlessly. No feed glitches, no failures to extract or eject. Just go time. Every time.

Unique: Custom paint and wood finishes. Your choice! Add a rail, a one or two point sling, optics, etc.

What goes into a pistol caliber, short stroke conversion?

It’s a bear to get Marlins to feed and eject these stubby, rimless rounds, but we eat bear for breakfast. Despite the fur and fat, it’s worth it. To get to the fun part, here's what has to happen:

The bump stop on the carrier(cartridge lifter) must be moved forward to match the abbreviated COL.

Carrier timing must be adjusted to lift sooner on opening so that the carrier nose blocks entry of the next cartridge before it can emerge from the magazine.

The "wings" and cartridge ramp of the carrier must be modified to properly present the cartridge to the chamber mouth, depending on conversion.

The ejector must be repositioned forward in the receiver to eject the case at the rear of the bolt's shorter travel. This requires precise machining to the receiver that can only be done on a mill. On our rifles, there is no external evidence of this change.

The ejector must be modified and tuned to work with short rimless cases, or FTE's are the order of the day. This is a surprisingly sticky aspect that took time to work out.

The bolt face tabs must be partially machined to allow for smooth feeding of stubby rimless cases.

The extractor gets a lot of attention, and is heavily modified to both feed smoothly and eject reliably.

The control blade of the lever gets a channel machined into it that becomes the new lift profile for the carrier. Again, precise work with a mill is the only way. This was one of the more interesting problems to solve.

Normally, the lever stops against a ramp near the back of the carrier at full open. With the shortened stroke, the lever never gets near this ramp. While the lever's travel will be arrested by the carrier pawl dropping into its new channel, the pawl would not last long in that role, so we create a new lever stop on the trigger plate.

All of this is in addition to installing the new barrel along with chamber work that must take place.

(Marlin base rifle not included; Marlin 1894 JM rifles or Remington 2009-2014 avoiding "91" serial prefix)

Marlin 1894 Pistol Caliber, Short Stroke Conversion

Calibers: .9MM, .10MM, .38 Super, .44 RIPSAW, .45 ACP, .45 COWBOY, .327 Federal, .357 SIG, .40 S&W

Barrel: Douglas Marlin-profiled barrel that's been chambered, fitted, head spaced, bedded and dovetails cut

Length: Barrel and mag tube from 21" to 16.5” (your choice)

Accuracy: Accurized to MOA (3-5 shot group at 50 yards)

Action: Short stroke action conversion (excpt for .44 RIPSAW)

Weight: 6 lbs unscoped

Donor/base rifle options (supply your own or ask for a price quote):

9MM, .38 Super: Marlin 1894CL

.327 Federal: Marlin 1894CL (if chambered in 32/20, we can use your factory barrel for less cost)

10MM, 40 S&W, .357 SIG: Marlin 357 or 32/20

44 RIPSAW, .45 ACP, .45 Cowboy: Marlin 44 MAG or 45 Colt

A 16.5" barrel and mag tube will hold the following # of rounds:

- .9mm, .10mm, .38 Super and .45 ACP hold 12 rounds

- .40 S&W, .327 Federal, .357 SIG hold 13 rounds

- .44 RIPSAW holds 7 rounds

PRICE: .327 Federal

Conversions start at $850 (uses original barrel on Marlin 1894CL 32/20, no short stroke (ammo too long), installation of front/rear sights, KG Gun Kote mil-spec coating on barrel (your choice of color)

PRICE: .10mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45 Cowboy, .357 SIG

Conversions start at $1,250 (include installation of front/rear sights, KG Gun Kote on barrel (your choice of color)

PRICE: .9mm, .45 Auto

Conversions start at $1,350 (include installation of front/rear sights, KG Gun Kote on barrel (your choice of color)

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isnt that pretty close to the 444 Marlin? I havent looked at that in a while so Im not sure.
I've never messed around with 300gr bullets in a .444 Marlin, but the Hodgdon load data website shows a max load of H4198 generating 2082 fps with one. Though Hodgdon used a slightly longer barrel.

Also according to Hodgdon, a .44 Magnum with a H110 and a 300gr bullet maxes out at 1473.

So the Ripsaw @1700fps pretty much seems to split the difference.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What length barrel was that out of a .44 mag? I use a 270gr GDSP out of a 16" barrel with my 44 mag using 21gr of H110 but I have never shot it over a chrono. Guess I should just to see. Its pretty impressive either way. I have a lever in 450 Marlin and it gets very little attention.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What length barrel was that out of a .44 mag? I use a 270gr GDSP out of a 16" barrel with my 44 mag using 21gr of H110 but I have never shot it over a chrono. Guess I should just to see. Its pretty impressive either way. I have a lever in 450 Marlin and it gets very little attention.
The .44 Mag data is from a 20" barrel.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll take one in 10mm!
Makes me wonder what 10mm would do out of a 20" barrel.

I would also like to see what the 357Sig will do. I guess I have some googling to do.

Okay...I found that 10mm from an 18" barrel has between 600-1000 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy and velocity is 1260-1710 fps depending on ammo tested.

357Sig has 635-825 ft lbs and is traveling 1508-1770 fps at the muzzle.

These numbers are from ballisticsbytheinch.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom