Re-Home my German Shepherd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your question: Yup, went through this very thing with a beloved shepherd many years ago. Job requirements and life situation changed to where the dog was home alone for nearly 12 hours a day. It wasn't right, so we let her go to an older couple with land and time. It sucked, but it was better for her.

We're in a better situation now and looking to add a big dog back into the family...

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she would get along with Jasmine our lab/chow mix she would be welcome here. The backyard is two acres to romp around in and the house is where they spend most of the time.

I had a shepard/mastiff mix, man did she shed. If I could have found a way to sell dog hair I would be wealthy. :)

Being home bound Jasmine does not get left alone very often, heck when the wife and daughter go to town I have a sitter or the neighbor is home and is able to get here quickly. (constant dislocations)

Jasmine has been very clingy since the accident that took our old yellow lab.

Would Sam have a problem chasing critters like sheep or cattle? Jasmine has been taught to stay in the gate when it is open (driveway for parking), but we do let her run the deer out of the yard. Funny to see her at full speed slam on the breaks and not go out the gate when running deer or rabbits out of her yard. I have watched her do this at 2 or 3am on the security cameras, odd she still knows not to go through the gate unless we are out and call her. :)

Like was said above do what you can to try to keep her, if not I am sure you can find a family here to keep her and you will know she is happy.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well we have put some very serious thought into it and I believe we will make her a pallet in the garage for the fair-weather seasons. We have a side door or the house that adjoins the back yard. I believe that we will either install a dog door, or simply leave the side door open giving her free run of the yard. This will atleast make it so that she isn't forced to hold her bowels for hours on end. I believe I may reinforce the fence footers so that she doesn't dig herself out of the yard due to boredom. She hasn't really dug before but I wouldn't put anything past a bored german shepherd. With this I think we will see how the week goes, if she appears to be miserably bored I will start looking at the offered homes from OSA members and offer her based on the best-perceived fit. Luckily, I have been absolutely flooded with willing members to take her in. We really don't want to lose our girl, we will basically put the ball in sam's court and do what's best for her.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story: Tried the garage with ours and she actually pried the garage door off the rails enough that she could stick her head out to check out the neighborhood. Pulled up to the house to see her wagging her tongue all happy, even though she'd sliced her paws open in the process. Goofball.

Tried the backyard and she pulled slats down to "play" with the neighbor's dog!

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I certainly hope I have better luck than you did. Sam is pretty calm for a shepherd and, knock on wood, has yet to be destructive of anything less of her own toys. This may be better in theory than practice, but I'm hopeful that It'll work. This will be a rather expensive project considering my household budget, but a sacrifice that I'm willing to make.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well we have put some very serious thought into it and I believe we will make her a pallet in the garage for the fair-weather seasons. We have a side door or the house that adjoins the back yard. I believe that we will either install a dog door, or simply leave the side door open giving her free run of the yard. This will atleast make it so that she isn't forced to hold her bowels for hours on end. I believe I may reinforce the fence footers so that she doesn't dig herself out of the yard due to boredom. She hasn't really dug before but I wouldn't put anything past a bored german shepherd. With this I think we will see how the week goes, if she appears to be miserably bored I will start looking at the offered homes from OSA members and offer her based on the best-perceived fit. Luckily, I have been absolutely flooded with willing members to take her in. We really don't want to lose our girl, we will basically put the ball in sam's court and do what's best for her.

We have found over the years a bored dog will find ways to entertain themselves. This is not always a good thing. :)

I also know a play buddy, just a good old doggy, will make the day go much faster for her. If I may suggest a playmate that may be helpful.

I hope it works out to where you do get to have her stay at home.

We will be looking for a playmate for Jasmine very soon. Even being home daily she has more energy than I can keep up with. Due to health reasons we will wait until spring when the weather is better for potty training. :)

Good luck and I honestly hope it works out well for you.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

For your security go with a dog door and be sure to add some toys for her in the back yard. I have known some larger dogs that loved playing with an old tire swing or rope swing. Footballs or basketballs work for some other dogs. Something tough that they can spend hours with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom