Recommend a new local bank or credit union

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bank is going to start charging monthly account fees just to be able to use a check card. Plus, I've been wanting to get away from them for the last few years.

I have another account with TFCU that I have no complaints with, so I'm not opposed to creating another account there, but wanted to hear suggestions from you guys for other credit unions and banks, preferably local. I am not military, so I cannot open an account with USAA which is probably where I'd go if I could.

I will be opening both a checking and savings account with this new institution. I'd prefer free checking, but am willing to pay a small monthly fee if the benefits are worth it. This is my own personal account, this is not my true savings or an account that I use for mortgage and bill payments. This is what I'll use to purchase gasoline, fast food, guns and video games. It's not an account that ever sees more than 4 figures, so skip out on the $10,000 minimum balance crap, that won't benefit me.

I don't need detailed details, but which would you recommend and why? What benefits do you receive? Is your account interest accruing? How's the customer service? Do they offer Bill Pay services?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like TFCU. I've been there since I was 17. The Click checking accrues interest, as does the savings. If you pay one bill online and use your debit card, then there is no fee(I think that's how it works.) I tried Citizens in Edmond, but closed it after about a year. A few months after that, someone tried to charge some things, the bank allowed it, and then turned me over to collections for it. I can't comment on USAA since I don't have a bank account with them, but after the hassles and poor service with my mortgage, I wouldn't recommend them anyway.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm...our main accounts are with Wells Fargo from when we lived in Texas. So, thats a no-go.
We like ..it use to be Union Bank..but they changed and I can't remember their new name..NW 50th and May...and do business them...along with Arvest. My wife really likes Arvest...mainly for their hours..extended and Saturday. She likes it that they're just to the South of us on NW 164th and Penn.

So..Arvest. A long time ago I use to do business with Citizens in downtown Edmond....when it was just the one bank. Check them out also.

Cohiba

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like TFCU. I've been there since I was 17. The Click checking accrues interest, as does the savings. If you pay one bill online and use your debit card, then there is no fee(I think that's how it works.) I tried Citizens in Edmond, but closed it after about a year. A few months after that, someone tried to charge some things, the bank allowed it, and then turned me over to collections for it. I can't comment on USAA since I don't have a bank account with them, but after the hassles and poor service with my mortgage, I wouldn't recommend them anyway.

That's what we have with TFCU. I'd have to go without the interest (or the bigger interest rate) on my personal account since I don't have anything to use Bill Pay with on a consistent basis. I only use Bill Pay when ordering through BudsGunShop so I can score the cash discount. Not something I do monthly.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have accounts at TFCU and Midfirst. TFCU is nice because because it is walking distance from my office and they are easy to deal with for loans and the such. The reason I have a midfirst account is simply because they have branches and atms in my local area. They have good hours too. It is nice being able to go to the bank in the evenings and on weekends. Also, all of my bills are automated, so that service is essentially a requirement. Auto bill pay and DVR FTW!

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Tanner, if you have family that is employed by DPS you can join their credit union. Department of Public Safety Federal Credit Union. It's down @ MLK and NE 36th.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're already there. TFCU. We've been with them, literally, since the 1970's. They offer whatever we need and, at least here in Enid, they are more personal. I feel like I get better service and they really give a crap about me and my business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom