Red wasp suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the years, I've been stung dozens of times including twice last week (back of the neck and back of arm at the same time). Other than a little pain at the time, never had a problem. Today was different. Got stung in the back of the head, and within 5 minutes, the palms of my hands were itching like crazy and itching finally spread to my groin and feet. Popped about a half dozen Benedryl tablets before any relief. Itching is finally gone, but after 3 hrs, head still hurts like hell. Kinda scary since palms itched worse than any poison ivy I've ever had.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too got a few sting over the weekend, twice on the back of the neck... They met their demise in a can of wasp spray, along with the entire nest. Those red buggers are persistent

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a red wasp sting right between the eyes this year..
I was watering the garden.. ran hose through chicken coop...they were in there! I did not know it.
10 minutes watering , then inside to cool off.. all itchy on my back...took off shirt..thought mosquitoes got me..

All whelped up on neck and back...then itchy like you stated...took a shower..no help....was not mosquitoes
Anaphylaxis ...of sort....

Hands were itchy to the point of cutting hands off if this did not stop..I feel your pain..

This never happened to me...I read up on it.
they give you a shot of epinephrine....This is similar to adrenalin..

And they give you an antihistamine...
SO with this in mind i needed what i had on hand..Benadryl...I had capsules with powder in them.
I chewed up 2 of them and drank water..
Now i need adrenaline....
I took off out the front door running...I ran down the street around the park across the creek and back...
that will get the benedryl in your system....

The itchy hands and feet were MURDER....
Something like this will open your eyes to why people will kill their self ....
If you lived with this for days you will end it..

My buddy told me the next sting will be even worse...HHHMMM.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was little, my grandpa's white Ford pickup truck had a red wasp nest under the glove compartment about the size of a hat. He wouldn't get rid of it; he'd say "Leave them alone, an' they'll leave you alone." It didn't work out that way...

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a guy that died from a wasp sting a few years ago.

Got stung on the cheek a couple weeks ago but just swelled a little with some itching. Took about 10 days to fully disappear though. Hate those bastards.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been waging a unholy war with those bastards around my house all summer. I've wiped out 9 nests and they always rebuild them. I've started rotating the type of chemical I use.
I think they've become immune to some of the sprays, there like real life BORG...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We've had way more wasp nests that usual, all yellow jackets though, no reds. Lot's of black widows too. Just gased a large nest in the bottom of one of the rain gutters. 64 of them rolled out onto the side walk............my daughter was determined to count them since they just kept coming.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have an allergic reaction to them, take 50mg of Benadryl and 40mg of Pepcid. If things are bad, go to the ER where they can do steroids and epinephrine if needed. For those who have it bad, as stated above, get your doctor to write you a prescription for an Epi-Pen... or two. And DON'T keep them in the glovebox of your car! The heat will destroy the medicine very quickly and it won't work when you need it.

And epinephrine IS adrenaline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom