Red's Southern Diner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I tried Red's this evening and we will not be returning. The service was great, the decor was nice, but the food was for the most part not worth eating.

The chicken fried steak and okra were overcooked in old cooking oil. The mashed potatoes were cool to almost cold, the creamed corn was straight from the can, as were the biscuits. The wife said that the chicken pot pie was almost as good as KFC's.

A little tip, if you are going to bill yourself as a Southern Diner, do not put chipotle in the cream gravy. It gives the gravy an almost soured taste which can be a turn off to fans of real southern cooking.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somebody tried telling me the fried chicken is as good as Eischen's. I love Eischen's, while their chicken isn't anything special (think Bobo's honey-drizzled, smoked fried chicken), it's just really good, classic fried chicken.

His statement made me curious to try Red's, but now I've got your statement to consider. Any time I try a new restaurant that has at least a small touch on southern cooking/comfort foods or better yet, a place like Red's that promotes themselves as field experts, I try the chicken fried steak and gravy. If they can't master that, I lose interest in going back to try anything else.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my sons girlfriend worked there when it first opened. she left because she said there was no way they would be in business for more than a year.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with RickN

Wife and I took our 11 year old there a week ago. Felt the same way about the service and such (people were super nice). Chicken fried steak was as good as grandmas. But not when grandma was in her prime. It was good as grandmas after she was too old to remember what ingredients went in what and everyone ate before going to her house.

It was also pretty expensive for my taste. $11.99 per person (choose your entre) plus $2 for iced tea. After tax and before tip it was nearly $50 for my wife and I to have chicken fried steak and my daughter to have chicken strips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom