Red's Southern Diner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Granny and my Momma spoiled me rotten on Chicken Fried Steak when I was a kid. We didn't have it very often, but when we did, it was a special day.

Most Chicken Fried Steak today ranges from fairly good to really bad. Restaurant fare is just that, fair. When I was in high school at dear old Wilson High School, you could get a great Chicken Fried Steak plate lunch at Dude's Diner; meat, potatoes, green beans or corn, a roll and a piece of pie for 55 cents. Man, life used to be great.

I'm glad I thought of that. I'll smile the rest of the day.

rbror

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While not great, everything there was pretty good. If you have real nostalgic feelings about your childhood food and feel like everything should taste like it came from your grandma's then you're going to be disappointed because half of how great grandma's food was is because you haven't had it in 25 years. One thing they have in common with your grandma is that you'll be full when you leave. The sides are unlimited. The group I went with ordered five different items and while all of them where good the worst was probably the chicken fried steak. No one in the group felt like the food tasted like it came from a can. There is probably a restaurant in OKC that serves a better version of every item on the menu at Red's, but I felt like they produced a solid product. Overall a good restaurant.

Maybe it was an off night. I heard great reviews about Zarates and was excited to eat there. It was the worst food I've had at restaurant in OKC. No flavor and everything tasted like it came warmed from a can. Yes, I know to get the Latin not the Mexican food. A few weeks later a couple of people that I trust when it comes to food went there after and said it was great. So apparently restaurants don't bring their "A" game every night.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is possible it was a bad night. We ran into some friends there and they were not impressed either, but I will say it was the worst place we have eaten in years. Bad enough we are not going to give them another try.

For the record, I do not compare any restaurant to grandma's cooking. Grandma was a drunk and could not cook worth a sh&t. :D

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
...I try the chicken fried steak and gravy. If they can't master that, I lose interest in going back to try anything else.

I have yet to find an excellent chicken fried steak at a restaurant.

The best I have had lately, was at Toby Keith's for $17, too expensive, but you don't leave hungry.

...my favorite burger place is Earl's Rib Palace. :D

The burgers at Earl's are my favorite thing on the menu. I am not impressed with their BBQ.

The best BBQ I get is at a little place in Shawnee called Robb's.

So apparently restaurants don't bring their "A" game every night.

That's one of the problems with most restaurants.

They are not consistent in their service or food quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom