Red's Southern Diner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to find an excellent chicken fried steak at a restaurant.

The best I have had lately, was at Toby Keith's for $17, too expensive, but you don't leave hungry.

Texas Roadhouse, surprisingly, has a decent CFS. I'm not going to say it's powerful enough to make the world stop spinning, but I was impressed something that tasty came from a chain restaurant. It's a bit salty, though, but a few bucks less than $17. I've had Toby Keith's CFS and I'd rank Texas Roadhouse above it.

Try the CFS in the Skillet Restaurants found in random truck stops (I-40 and MLK/Reno in OKC, for example). It's rated by truckers as the #1 CFS. I figured if truckers, people always on the road looking for something to remind them of home, like it, then it's worth a shot. It's really not bad, actually. It's a toss-up between Skillet and Texas Roadhouse for my favorite CFS.

Chuck House claims they have the world's best CFS. I'd agree, they do have the best CFS... for the price. It's like $6 gets you a CFS, 2-3 sides, and a drink. Can't beat that deal, but standing the CFS against the others, it's nothing special.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion there are two types of fried chicken. One is pan fried with gravy on the side and ice tea. The second deep fried (Eischens) with hot sauce and beer.

It is very hard for me to eat fried chicken, anywhere. My saint of a granny was a master of pan frying chicken and making the gravy with the crispies from the fry. Over the many years, I tried watching every step so I could learn the art but still, no one in our family can get it close. It almost makes me sad to think that I'll never have perfect fried chicken again.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas Roadhouse, surprisingly, has a decent CFS. I'm not going to say it's powerful enough to make the world stop spinning, but I was impressed something that tasty came from a chain restaurant. It's a bit salty, though, but a few bucks less than $17. I've had Toby Keith's CFS and I'd rank Texas Roadhouse above it.

SNIP...

Chuck House claims they have the world's best CFS. I'd agree, they do have the best CFS... for the price. It's like $6 gets you a CFS, 2-3 sides, and a drink. Can't beat that deal, but standing the CFS against the others, it's nothing special.

It's been a while since I had a Roadhouse CFS but I did like it the times I ordered it. As for Toby Keith's place, please refer to my signature below and understand why I don't darken the door of Toby's place.

I recently returned to OKC for an appointment with my eye doctor so I planned to have a CFS. I had a choice of Chuck House or Del Rancho and ended up at Chuck House. It was OK but didn't rise to meet my previous experiences or memory. It kind of made me wish I had chosen to eat at H&H since I knew I was headed there anyway.

The place in Vinita that was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, Clanton's, did a good job on the CFS the one time I stopped in there.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet to find an excellent chicken fried steak at a restaurant.

The best I have had lately, was at Toby Keith's for $17, too expensive, but you don't leave hungry.

The burgers at Earl's are my favorite thing on the menu. I am not impressed with their BBQ.

The best BBQ I get is at a little place in Shawnee called Robb's.

That's one of the problems with most restaurants.

They are not consistent in their service or food quality.

If you have not tried them, try Ann's. It is my favorite place for a CFS. Their mashed are nothing to write home about but you can get a mountain of fries instead.

At Earl's, have you tried their potato salad and slaw? Not bad at all for a chain.
I like to get their cheddar burger and add bacon, peppers and grilled onions. :spaghetti:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TRH has a good CFS, Chuck house is famous for the sandwich, rather than the CFS itself. Charlestons actually has a really good one too.

ShovelRider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chicken Fried steak, Del Rancho, gives Chuck House a whippin. Ann's Chicken Fry need not apply. Tried the CFS at the "Skillet" on I-40 on ML Luther King once, it was great! Went back a second time and it was so tough, the only thing I could chew was the breading. I told the cashier and got a full refund. I literally had to spit the meat back on the plate as my choppers couldn't make a dent in it. Years ago there was a place in Geary Oklahoma, not sure about the spelling, "Kountry Kitchen" they had a superb CFS and fresh baked Bread and Giant Cinnamon Rolls every day. Country cooking all the way! Darn it, I miss that place! Don't get me started on the Cafe at the Gypsum plant in Southard Oklahoma, that used to be there, some of the best home cooked food on a buffet I have ever eaten! I believe it was the Lorenz Sisters that ran it.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like chuck house for chicken fried steak. Twin peaks is good too, the chicken fried steak you get there is massive

If you're goin' to Twin Peaks for the food (which is actually pretty good) then turn in yur man card.

MAN! The gals there make your typical hooters girl look like an ugly cousin who went to the prom with her brother.

And - at Twin Peaks the girls actually enjoy their job (or do a pretty darn good job of pretending).

Super place for lunch - highly recommended.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate uggs enough that I won't ever go back to TP. As far as CFS, there was a place in/near Noble on the way to the racetrack, Kendalls I think. It was pretty darn tasty.

Stainless

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're goin' to Twin Peaks for the food (which is actually pretty good) then turn in yur man card.

MAN! The gals there make your typical hooters girl look like an ugly cousin who went to the prom with her brother.

And - at Twin Peaks the girls actually enjoy their job (or do a pretty darn good job of pretending).

Super place for lunch - highly recommended.
The food is just a perk, the ladies are the attraction:naughty:

Latest posts

Top Bottom