Refrigerant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember filling up car and bicycle tires off a 30lb R12 tank.

My Ac in my 57 is 134A and is ICE cold.
I gave away my last cans of R12.
I really should buy more 134A though.
I stocked up 5 years ago with 30 cans and that number should have been tripled.
4 bucks a can.
Now they have the new goofy can with rubber dingy in them.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first evaporator had leaks in the braze joints at the elbows. They were Amana made in Mexico.
Story was that the braze compound was acidic and pin holes developed after 10 or 15 years.
I don't know though. The current evaporator coil is a cheap Aspen. We'll see if it's the leaker.
We can send men to the moon and back, we can have a space station in space but we cannot braze a copper line so it never leaks?

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the new HVAC units typically designed to last 10 years (ish), it's completely crazy - from the homeowner’s side.
Remember HVAC units lasting 30 years? Sure they were ugly and noisy, and needed a service call sometimes ...but 30 years!!!

New refrigerants, requirements for higher SEER, proprietary parts (and obsolescence), thinner materials, etc....

Today's focus is solely on efficiency - with no thought to reliability and longevity.
I'd seriously consider a less-efficient unit if it would honestly last 30 years.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish they would make units that ran off liquid nitrogen since it seems we have an abundance of that around. I know my work goes through a 💩 ton of it by how many times the semi truck is there refilling the storage tanks. Not sure what the pressure difference is to transfer it back to liquid from gas so it might be cost prohibitive except for commercial uses.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish they would make units that ran off liquid nitrogen since it seems we have an abundance of that around....

+1!!! I'm in total agreement with the idea of using nitrogen. Nitrogen composes 78% of the air we breath.

If the nitrogen HVAC had a leak - it's non-toxic to people. It's easily available and not proprietary.
In fact, there are nitrogen 'generators' that collect nitrogen from the air. The nitrogen HVAC could automatically 'recharge' from the air if it runs low. (No service call for refrigerant)

Unfortunately, I think the Pressure-Enthalpy charts for nitrogen has a very limited and narrow 'usage' range - so it's not a good compound for refrigerant.
Although, I could be wrong....

Post Edit: More reading about why Nitrogen isn't used as a refrigerant:
https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-they...and-refrigerators-instead-of-freon-or-ammonia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom