New A/C time. Any techs here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm needing a condensing unit replaced. Old one is pulling 96 amps trying to start the compressor and won't start. A new start capacitor that he termed a "startup kit" didn't work. He said if it did there was no telling how long it would continue to work, "could be 10 years, or 10 minutes, just depends on how bad the compressor actually is" is what he said.

Does anyone know what a ballpark rate would be for a 14-16 SEER, 4 ton unit would be installed? I got one estimate today that was $5100 for an American Standard 14 SEER. Seems a bit high but maybe not. Should be an easy install, house is only a few years old. The Carrier unit was made in 2013 and is original to the house. The Carrier 10 year warranty goes to the original owner only, of course. :grumble:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just did this to my FIL's house. Carrier 4 ton (I forgot the SEER rating). $3600 installed because it was an easy install. The two installers were sweating their a$$es off. I bought them Whataburger for lunch and sent them on their way with deer summer sausage when they were done.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just did this to my FIL's house. Carrier 4 ton (I forgot the SEER rating). $3600 installed because it was an easy install. The two installers were sweating their a$$es off. I bought them Whataburger for lunch and sent them on their way with deer summer sausage when they were done.
Do they travel to Moore? :w000t:

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where y'all getting these quotes from? Got an older unit with a leaky A coil and for a 4 ton 16 SEER, 100,000 BTU 95% 2 quotes $8750 and 10 grand! Another showing up in the AM for another quote.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where y'all getting these quotes from? Got an older unit with a leaky A coil and for a 4 ton 16 SEER, 100,000 BTU 95% 2 quotes $8750 and 10 grand! Another showing up in the AM for another quote.
The quote I just got was for the outside condensing unit only. It's for my daughter's house.

When I did mine I got a turnkey system, with heat (relocated to attic), all new ducts and returns, and plugged the old floor vents. It was $14k. That's been a few years so it would probably be pushing close to $20k now.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm needing a condensing unit replaced. Old one is pulling 96 amps trying to start the compressor and won't start. A new start capacitor that he termed a "startup kit" didn't work. He said if it did there was no telling how long it would continue to work, "could be 10 years, or 10 minutes, just depends on how bad the compressor actually is" is what he said.

Does anyone know what a ballpark rate would be for a 14-16 SEER, 4 ton unit would be installed? I got one estimate today that was $5100 for an American Standard 14 SEER. Seems a bit high but maybe not. Should be an easy install, house is only a few years old. The Carrier unit was made in 2013 and is original to the house. The Carrier 10 year warranty goes to the original owner only, of course. :grumble:
That’s not high to be honest

Latest posts

Top Bottom