Reliability and build help for 9mm AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok... so seeing as the posts I've found are a year old, I can only hope that more "bugs" have been worked out. Looks like I'll go with the DPMS LPK, Spikes Mag Block, Spikes Buffer/Spring and then a Model 1 upper/bolt

Seems like a nice little fun plinker for me. Too bad I can't find an HK-94 style stock to go on it. I'll most likely go with and Ace stock for the looks.

If anyone has extra comments please post them. I'll start posting pics as soon as I can get the parts together!

J

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well im just going off what i know about using a sbr'ed platform for the 5.56 cartridge. the shorter you go with that round the harder it is on the bolt carrier and what not given the shorter gas system and pressures involved. Now im by no means an expert so take this with a grain of salt.

someone correct me if im wrong by all means but yea i see the point though with the 9mm as it probably wont matter either way. but build it the way you want because in the end its your rifle not someone elses till you decide to sell it.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well im just going off what i know about using a sbr'ed platform for the 5.56 cartridge. the shorter you go with that round the harder it is on the bolt carrier and what not given the shorter gas system and pressures involved. Now im by no means an expert so take this with a grain of salt.

someone correct me if im wrong by all means but yea i see the point though with the 9mm as it probably wont matter either way. but build it the way you want because in the end its your rifle not someone elses till you decide to sell it.

9mm upper is blowback operated instead of a gas system like the 5.56 uses. Like you said it's all about preference and by no means am I trying to be a jerk/know it all about it :)

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I agree...I'd have to have a SBR.

Otherwise, to paraphrase KurtM, it's like wearing pink panties, it feels nice, you just don't want anyone to know?!?? :haay:

Keep us posted. I'd be interested in seeing what you think of the Spike's stuff. I'll be building a 9mm upper not too long from now...

Oh reaallllyyy?????? :woohoo1: Details!!!!

Oh, and go with a Hahn block. From what I have read the Spike's block has issues with mags except for theirs. Don't know from experience, (yet) but that is the reviews I have read. Use a Hahn block, and Colt mags for best performance.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep...receiver's are coming in Friday. I've got my trust set up and the Form 1 will be going out next week. I'm getting a 5.56, 9mm, and 22 LR upper...in that order.

Here's what's coming so far:

Sonju upper/lower
Bushy 7.25" SS fluted barrel (5.56)
Midwest Industries T9 Free float
FDE Magpul MOE stock, grip, trigger guard, ASAP sling plate
CMMG LPK
Millett Zoom Dot in Wilcox M68 mount

I've really lucked out with the classifieds/online sales. I've already saved enough to pay for a stamp...almost two!! That's the good thing about having to wait a couple months, I guess...you get to shop around.

What's the word on your SBR/can??

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still waiting. Martin called and got my lower engraved, and was sending the paperwork, but it hasn't come yet. Tried to PM him, but have not heard back yet. I am still trying to figure out what handguard yet, I am leaning toward a Troy. Ordering the Hahn probably next week. I was ordering it this week, but had a kid that had a crisis....

I am waiting to see what Gemtech is going to do on cans. I have to wait for stamps anyway, so if they are going to do the promotion, I can wait to save $200. I am trying to talk myself out of the LMT upper that Rob has for sale in the classifieds while I am waiting.

I picked up a car for my 16 year old, so it crimped my fun money for a couple of months, but I am trying to buy at least one part each month to get this done. I am trying for the end of April right now.....

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm AR-15's rock!!! The only time mine is less than 100% is during a match. lol... Check it...
ai249.photobucket.com_albums_gg202_rustyzx9_photo_47.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom