Reloading .40s&w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Bersa mini-firestorm in .40 and grit my teeth every time one of the keltec carbines in .40 pop up for sale now and then. So tempting. Got everything to start reloading except boolits so just need to figure out what is the most common grain boolit to run.

155, 165, or 180...pick your poison. 165 and 180 are the most common, and you can run up to 200 if you really want to. Hard to go wrong with the 155 - 180 stuff...I haven't heard of malfunctioning due to bullet weight in that range.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that if you already shoot 9 and 45, and soon 10mm, there’s not much of a point in getting into .40. You’re buying another handgun (or three) and spending time developing another load or two for a cartridge you only have due to using the same bullet. I could see it being worthwhile or a cost saver if maybe you were to phase out 9 or 45. Otherwise you’re just wasting money in my opinion.

Although… There’s a catch. You could be like me, and buy a Smith and Wesson 610. Then, you have a 10mm revolver that you can shoot 40 out of for cheaper practice.

Oh yeah, the 610s are awesome! Have one myself that sees ~90% .40 short and weak loads.

20220225_170006.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When shooting USPSA matches the .40 with the right power factor kept you in major scoring vs the 9 mm which had minor scoring.
I went with the M&P 5” pro. Reduced the recoil spring a couple pounds and loaded 180 grain coated bullets.
6 years in competition shooting, with who knows how many thousands of rounds down that pipe, I never had a mechanical issue with that pistol.
I like the .40 and now have a S&W 10mm that will be able to use the thousands of coated bullets in the reloading cabinet.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Bersa mini-firestorm in .40 and grit my teeth every time one of the keltec carbines in .40 pop up for sale now and then. So tempting. Got everything to start reloading except boolits so just need to figure out what is the most common grain boolit to run.

I have a Hi-Point 40 Carbine and I shoot a Lee powder coated 180 gr bullet.
Loves it and for a tighter group the 180gr Hornady XTP over a max load of Blue Dot (Lyman 49th Load manual) gets the job done.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .40 is the same velocity as the 9, and the same pressure.. every sidearm is a trade off- with .40 you get more power, bigger holes than 9, and a little less capacity. ( like 13 rds vice 15 for same size) loading hasnt been hard or different..

Latest posts

Top Bottom