remington 7mm mag scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I have a redfield 6x18x five star scope with a drop compensator that goes to infinite on my 7mm mag. I could not get it sighted in at 50 yrds or 100 yrds. At first the round was not even hitting the paper. The clostest I could get it with the upper adjustment maxed out still impacted 4in high from the crosshairs. I was a really good shot in the corp so I know how to shoot breathing,wind,etc. but with a 7 mag at 50 yrds it should be right on the money. I think the scope is messed up and was thinking about replacing it with a Millett LRS-1 6-25X56MM Long Range Scope Illuminated Reticle or should I pay the money to have the redfield fixed? I have heard a lot of good things about millett scope and was wondering if anyone has one and what there opinion was about it. I also know that redfield was bought out by leupold so I don't know if this scope is worth fixing or how much it's worth as I traded my .308 for the 7mm mag. and the scope was already on it. Thanks

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like you may have a mechanical issue with the scope. It should only take about 5 shots at the most to sight in a 100 yards if your eyes are good.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several points:

1. With a scope of that much magnification, you may need an adjustable base to get it sighted in.

2. I'm a good shot to and when sighting in a new scope/gun combination, it's pretty unusual to have it on even a fairly large piece of paper at 100 yards. In fact, many times I'll start at 15 to 20 yards and adjust from there.

3. It's true Leupold bought the Redfield name but they don't have the parts to repair the old ones (I already checked).

4. I believe Millett scopes are made by Bushnell. They might be OK but I have a long standing grudge against Bushnell after they failed to honor their warranty on one of my scopes. My scopes of choice are Leupold and Nightforce but I've heard good things about Nikon scopes and may get one sometime. Leupold scopes have a lifetime warranty that's good even if you bought the scope used so I don't see a downside to buying a used Leupold scope and have bought quite a number on various forums and auctions sites.

5. The higher the magnification, the smaller the field of view and the more difficulty focusing at close ranges. When set to a lower power (like 6X) they're easier to focus; have you tried that?

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7 mag is a brutal round on cheap scopes, not saying your is cheap just saying it will tear up a scope not built to handle the recoil. I have a remmington 700 bdl in 7 mag that I have gone through 3 scopes 2 of the scopes worked for about half a dozen or so shots then they became unusable. I would have to rezero and then they would be off again. messed up the scoped inside. last one did it in the middle of deer season. bad timeing. so if you are going to stick with 7mag do yourself a favor. spend a little extra and buy a good quality scope. I finnaly broke down and bought a luepold. also check your scope mounts I have had mine work loose after a long hunting season.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or, maybe the mounting system!

That could be an issue; but he said he was shooting high and could not get it to come down. If it was the mount system...then he would be a mis-matched set (height-wise).

Grumulken, why would you suggest an adjustable rear sight and why do you think it's hard to sight in the 6x18 scope? Unless the manufacturer did a lousy job drilling the base holes, I would avoid a rear mount with adjustment screws.

Here's an easy way to get the rifle close to your POA at 100 yards for a bolt gun if your eyes are good.
1. Take the bolt out.
2. Sand bag/rest the rifle in a solid position with the barrel bore centered on your 100 yard bullseyes.
3. Adjust your scope ret. towards your target point. Doublecheck that your rifle hasn't moved. Adjust scope again if needed. Install bolt and take a shot.
4. It should only take 3 or 4 shots from there to get to your bullseye.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's an easy way to get the rifle close to your POA at 100 yards for a bolt gun if your eyes are good.
1. Take the bolt out.
2. Sand bag/rest the rifle in a solid position with the barrel bore centered on your 100 yard bullseyes.
3. Adjust your scope ret. towards your target point. Doublecheck that your rifle hasn't moved. Adjust scope again if needed. Install bolt and take a shot.

Thats what I do. Saves a few rounds.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That could be an issue; but he said he was shooting high and could not get it to come down. If it was the mount system...then he would be a mis-matched set (height-wise).

Grumulken, why would you suggest an adjustable rear sight and why do you think it's hard to sight in the 6x18 scope? Unless the manufacturer did a lousy job drilling the base holes, I would avoid a rear mount with adjustment screws.

1. Take the bolt out.

Learned how to do that in the corp and when you look through the bore the scope was way low so I adjusted to get it on the paper at 50 yrds but the scope maxed out and it was still 4-5 in high. that technique saves me alot of rounds as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom