remington 7mm mag scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7 mag is a brutal round on cheap scopes, not saying your is cheap just saying it will tear up a scope not built to handle the recoil. I have a remmington 700 bdl in 7 mag that I have gone through 3 scopes 2 of the scopes worked for about half a dozen or so shots then they became unusable. I would have to rezero and then they would be off again. messed up the scoped inside. last one did it in the middle of deer season. bad timeing. so if you are going to stick with 7mag do yourself a favor. spend a little extra and buy a good quality scope. I finnaly broke down and bought a luepold. also check your scope mounts I have had mine work loose after a long hunting season.

Good advise I bought a shooters friend recoil pad for me wish they made one for a scope lol

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My intention is to be able to use the 7mm mag for it's intended purpose long range shooting. I know this is pushing it to the limit but I'd like to try and hit targets at upwards of 750 yrds to 1000 yrds. Maybe get into some long range competitions. Grumulkin I did not know leupold had a liifetime warranty that may really make a difference in my purchase. I'll try and find out about millets warranty. Maybe I should also consider a muzzle brake or mag na porting to make it easier on the scope I'm ok with the recoil but it would not hurt to have a little less recoil.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think I suggested an adjustable rear sight. What I was hoping to suggest was an adjustable scope base/ring system where the rings can be moved in relation to the scope base. That way when you run out of scope adjustment you can move the scope in relation to the base.

In the past year, I've probably sighted in at least a dozen scopes for myself and others. What I've seen time and time again is the tendency to spend too much time trying to get on paper at 50 or 100 yards with complete misses and no useful information gained. If you get on paper fine; if not, get a lot closer if need be so you at least have a clue where the bullets are going.

As far as muzzle brakes are concerned, if you get a good scope, 7mm Rem. Mag. recoil won't hurt it in the least. I even have the likes of Leupold Vari-X II scopes that I use with a 375 H&H Magnum and a 458 Lott, neither of which are braked, with no problems.

I personally wouldn't brake a 7mm Rem. Mag. since I don't think recoil is that bad but each to his own.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant adjustable rear base not sight. I don't think that has anything to do with his problem.
If you don't like the recoil on the 7mmRM put a Limbsaver pad on it. I put one on my Sako M-995 300WM. It helped alot.

The 7mmRM is quite capable of long range shots, especially if you are using vld type bullets. I've got a 7mmRM project in the works right now with Longshotrifles. McM HTG, Seekins base & rings, NF 3.5x15x50 R1, Broughton 5C 26" Sendero taper,........no brake needed.

100 yard sight in is easy. No ammo wasted. I do see alot of people at the range that waste lots of ammo with terrible groups and they keep blasting away. It's too expensive nowadays.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a leupy on my 7mmRemMag. Need a quality scope that can handle the recoil. Lesser quality scopes have a hard time maintaining zero when used on guns with lots of recoil.

MB1008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might also check out a Nikon Buckmasters. Excellent bang for the buck. I've had a 3-9 X 40 on my Remmy BDL 7 mag for 8 years and haven't had any problems with the set up. Although I don't know if the Buckmasters line goes as far as 18X magnification. I know they do have one that goes to 14X.

Latest posts

Top Bottom