removing blued fingerprints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, did something stupid, yet odd today. Ridicule is expected :doh:

So yesterday I was field stripping my new RIA 2-tone tactical. Had the trusty gun cleaning kit out for the ceremonial first cleaning/oiling of the new gun. I keep all of my cleaning supplies (rods, brushes, solvents, etc) in a cheap plastic tub.

After I had finished oiling and reassembly of the pistol, I noticed that the frontstrap (matte stainless steal) was slightly darker than the rest of the pistol. At first I thought that it was just some of the packing oil that the gun had throughout.

However, it wouldn't wipe off. In fact, it began getting darker as time went on and formed into the shape of three fingerprints.

Then I remembered that several weeks ago, I had an old bottle of birchwood casey bluing solution leak all over my cleaning rods in my plastic tube. I cleaned them off, but I guess there was still some on them that had transfered to my fingers.

So, is there an easy (or not so easy) way to "de-blue" the stainless steel? I was thinking about getting some of the "de-bluing solution that I have seen for sale at some of the gun shops around town, but I wanted to check with you guys first to see if this is a valid option, or if perchance there was something around the house that would return the stainless steel to its original color.

-Thanks!

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's truly stainless, and not got some type of silver coating on it, I'd try some Bar Keeper's Friend. Wal Mart sells it in powder or liquid. Get the powder and mix a little bit up in a pasty consistency.

I use it on anything stainless (pots, knives, etc...) and it ends up looking like new.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
depends on the alloy type of stainless. id beadblast it off. phosphoric acid is a common debluer, but im not taking responsibility if you do that ...

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless something has changed recently, Rock Island isn't importing stainless frames. I'm betting the bottom is brushed nickel. If that's so, the prints are probably going to be there for a while...though it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually wore off with use. Might hit it with some CLP and see what happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom