Requirements For CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just turned 21 in December and already made my first few purchases, natural im thinking about CCW as the next step.

How old do you have to be to CCW? I was told 23 by some guy at gun show but im not sure about his credibility.

Does this actual permit cost money or just the CCW class? If so how much does the permit and/or class cost and how long is the permit good for?

And if CCW is legal for me would it look bad for me to be carrying (in the public's conservative eyes anyway) and had to use my weapon in an unfortunate event. And by look bad I dont want to have a scenario in court that the prosecutor portray me or jury perceive me as a "gun crazed youngster" even though what I did was legal, well within the scope of the law, and any other law abiding CCWer would have done the same thing.

cyberslider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
21 is the age

100 bucks for the license itself - good for 5 years - renews at same cost OR
200 bucks for the a 10 year license - renews at same cost
25 bucks for finger prints
60 bucks (at least) for the class

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The required age used to be 23 - that's probably where the guy from the gunshow got his information! It's now 21 - the previous poster is correct on his info (except that the class is not always $60 - we are offering it for $39 in Tulsa - check my signature).

And if CCW is legal for me would it look bad for me to be carrying (in the public's conservative eyes anyway) and had to use my weapon in an unfortunate event. And by look bad I dont want to have a scenario in court that the prosecutor portray me or jury perceive me as a "gun crazed youngster" even though what I did was legal, well within the scope of the law, and any other law abiding CCWer would have done the same thing.

Don't worry about your age. Many of us began carrying at your age as well. The key is the "reasonable person" doctrine. The best thing for you to do is to not stop with the CCW class, but get some good training with good firearms/self-defense instructors. That will help you more than anything to make proper decisions concerning defending yourself.

Good luck!

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know a place here in south okc that does the class for 35. just did mine in sept. great class...

That would be Paul Gordon & Doug Lindsey at S.O.R.
Took phase I,II,IV CLEET classes there. Although I didnt take my CCW class there, which I should of... They are great guys and I reccomend highly.

Here's their info.. 2334 N Moore Avenue, Building "B"
Moore, OK 73160
405/793-0869, FAX 405/793-0870

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good news just made my day! Now the hunt is on for that elusive thing we call money lol.

What do you guys think about a 4" barrel compact Springfield XD for CCW??? To me it seem to be right on the verge of being too big but i never carried before so i have no clue.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good news just made my day! Now the hunt is on for that elusive thing we call money lol.

What do you guys think about a 4" barrel compact Springfield XD for CCW??? To me it seem to be right on the verge of being too big but i never carried before so i have no clue.

Never carried an XD but I carry a Glock 19 daily (4 inch barrel) and to me it is the perfect size for CC.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Pass up on the Splockfield wannabee and get the real deal Glock.
19 tends to be the general consensus for the CCW, but I chose the 26. It can be very small when I need it to be, but I can expand it to the G19 or G17 size when appropriate; you can't shrink the 19 though.

I turned 21 in 2/2009. I went out to get my CCW course but the class director kept canceling. Finally got my course done in 3/2010. Had license in 5/2010 and CCW daily from then on out. Took a while to get used to, but its been nice in many situations.

ljb2of3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hah, money... can't ever have enough of that it seems. Every time I get a little bit, I find a way to spend the money 4 times over.

As for 4" XD... thats what I carry, in 9mm. I carry in a crossbreed supertuck inside my waistband (IWB) at about the 5 o'clock position. Its never seemed too big or too heavy, although I have to be careful about bending over because the grip will print pretty badly, a 3" subcompact may help with that. If I carry at 3 o'clock I can't make it print even when I try, but I need bigger pants before I can do that every day!

Find a range or two that does rentals and try out a at least a few different guns before picking one. I knew I wanted an XD or Glock and I tried both... I ended up picking the XD because it seemed to fit my hands better, and I liked the grip safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom