Rescued my first Bee Swarm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the conditions in Tulsa, but down here in southern Oklahoma, using hive top feeders I have a lot of trouble with Fire ants. Between the fire ants, and the extended cold spell, this is the first year in a while that I have had no bees. It's kind of a mixed blessing as I would have had to feed them all summer long due to the drought.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
purchase some local honey last season from an attorney that was a beekeeper. meet him at his home in mid-town with hives. He was gracious enough to lend a suit and let me watch some hive maintenance. he assured me it was legal to keep a small number of hives per property in Tulsa city limits.

outside top feeder is only temporary. Honeybee told me to feed the bees heavy right away.
better to do it outside right away, then move it inside in a few days.

Hmm? How'd you find that out? I wonder what the OKC & Moore rules are?

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case anyone in Norman is interested here is the Norman Municipal Codes.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientid=11352

This is what the Moore Municipal Codes said. Nothing specific to bees, but does mention wild by nature animals. "Keep any animal, wild by nature or dangerous, except when kept by a licensed circus or show or in a zoo or accredited school; or mention wild by nature animals."

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bee update...

put out feeder on left 12 days ago, feeder on right two days ago.

fed a dollop of local honey same time as right feeder. Bees attacked the honey, then attached the new feeder with same intensity.

if feeding continues at this rate, bees just might make it through the winter.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC08188.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_DSC08189.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom