Rifle mounting in vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed... loaded magazine in place, no round in chamber = legal with a permit. Not legal without.

I've thought very much about an AOW shotty with 2 rounds in the mag and none in the chamber, kept in the doorpocket. But I don't think it's worth it for 2 rounds on hand, plus, keeping NFA items under stricter control might not pass that muster. So... for now I still make do with my Glock 22 in the doorpocket and a couple of extra mags. I'd also like to put an SBR in a biometric/keycode-locked box in the ceiling of my Tahoe - but the NFA thing keeps me from doing that. I'm just not a fan of AR pistols... they're not comfortable for me to shoot, although to be perfectly honest, I haven't tried the Sig brace or blade stock.

<edit> Disclaimer - I may or may not have a significant amount of Scotch on board after the night I had at work. :(

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed... loaded magazine in place, no round in chamber = legal with a permit. Not legal without
<edit> Disclaimer - I may or may not have a significant amount of Scotch on board after the night I had at work. :(

I when I read the statute, I interpreted it differently. Thank you for clearing that up

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have considered this for my truck as well. My only concern is that it would remain in my truck at all times. I live in the city, albeit in a good neighborhood. We still have our share of car break-ins etc. I believe it is mostly when people leave there cars unlocked and we have someone coming through shaking handles. I'd hate to lose an AR or put a loaded firearm in the hands of a criminal. I guess one could come up with a locking system, bike chain, etc. It may cut into you access speed, but could secure your investment. I'd imagine a could velcro strips threaded through the bottom of the seat would be sufficient. Let us know what you end up doing.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have considered this for my truck as well. My only concern is that it would remain in my truck at all times. I live in the city, albeit in a good neighborhood. We still have our share of car break-ins etc. I believe it is mostly when people leave there cars unlocked and we have someone coming through shaking handles. I'd hate to lose an AR or put a loaded firearm in the hands of a criminal. I guess one could come up with a locking system, bike chain, etc. It may cut into you access speed, but could secure your investment. I'd imagine a could velcro strips threaded through the bottom of the seat would be sufficient. Let us know what you end up doing.

That's the way I feel.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bunch of awesome feedback. Thank you everybody. I really appreciate the clarification on the loaded mag in rifle part. Was leaning towards fitting some foam(pelican or other similar) into the part under the seat and cutting it to fit rifle &/or mags.... Or maybe some bad@$$ hook and loop on bottom of seat with some sort of Molle webbing to secure the firearm to

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is what always comes to mind whenever I hear or see someone say "truck gun". After having my truck stolen from my office parking garage, I can't fathom the idea of actually leaving a gun in my truck. Everything inside of any value was taken (except, oddly enough, the stock radio that was sitting under the back seat :-) ). If I were to have had a gun in my truck, I would forever feel responsible for that gun being out there in the hands of the type of scum that is so low as to steal someone's truck. I couldn't deal with that. I don't even leave a knife in my truck anymore.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a variety of mounts out there. Some are pricey. My problem is finding a mount that meets my requirements that will work in my truck. (Hidden, quick access, and locking) A single cab 4x4 with 40/20/40 seats. Unlike older trucks, the seats on this truck do not fold forward very far to allow behind the seat storage of hardly anything.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpgThis would be ideal, but I'm not paying the $$$ for it
Or
image.jpg

Last edited:

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive an SUV....keep my trusty 30-30 in a leather, saddle style, scabbard in the rear. can reach it from the front seat. its covered with misc tarps and empty paint cans, so not a visible target for thieves but can be in action in a few seconds. shoots minute of bad guy well past anything l'm likely to encounter. lf l don't have time to get to it - that's what the 9mm is for - fight your way to your rifle.

l keep it magazine loaded with cowboy action bullets at about 1500fps...don't want to hit anyone else 3 blocks away with a pass thru. another 6 rounds on a butt cuff...garage parked.

plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom