Rifle mounting in vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been an idea of mine for some time. Especially with the rise of ignorance upon our streets lately. I have a Dodge Pickup with a fold up bench rear seat, been thinking about making some sort of mount to hold my rifle.(obviously not loaded in transport, that would be illegal).
Was wondering if anyone had done something similar? Failed, success? Pics maybe?

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been an idea of mine for some time. Especially with the rise of ignorance upon our streets lately. I have a Dodge Pickup with a fold up bench rear seat, been thinking about making some sort of mount to hold my rifle.(obviously not loaded in transport, that would be legal).
Was wondering if anyone had done something similar? Failed, success? Pics maybe?

Yes it would
I just lay mine in the seat and fold it up
With seat down I have two straps that hold rifle secure
works for me..... ;)

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a valid Oklahoma handgun license you may carry a rifle magazine (not chamber) loaded in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. Why do you have to think about doing so?

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.13 - Transporting a Loaded Firearm
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a valid Oklahoma handgun license you may carry a rifle magazine (not chamber) loaded in the passenger compartment of your vehicle. Why do you have to think about doing so?

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.13 - Transporting a Loaded Firearm
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a landborne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

Thank you. I knew that. I meant having the magazine in rifle wouldn't be legal. Can you clarify what you mean by, "why do you have to think about doing so"?

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my understanding that it's legal to have a loaded magazine inserted into the rifle you're carrying in the passenger compartment, you just can't have a round chambered. Please, someone correct me on this and furnish legal citation if this is incorrect. And "why do you have to think about doing so" was a general question (as in why would any holder of a valid Oklahoma handgun license think twice about doing so), not directed at you personally.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,

OK HGL (or current license from another state) = Magazine-loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle is legal.

It's perfectly legal to put a loaded mag into a rifle for transport in your vehicle.

I've not put mine in a mount. It's carried otherwise due to vehicle and other considerations. Can't be any help there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's my understanding that it's legal to have a loaded magazine inserted into the rifle you're carrying in the passenger compartment, you just can't have a round chambered. Please, someone correct me on this and furnish legal citation if this is incorrect. And "why do you have to think about doing so" was a general question (as in why would any holder of a valid Oklahoma handgun license think twice about doing so), not directed at you personally.

Your correct.
I keep an AR in the passenger seat when going to the farm down the highway. I'm sure a few truckers have seen it when I pass them. Hit the bolt release if necessary and its ready to roll.

Latest posts

Top Bottom