Rifle registration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POPO

New to the site!
Reaction score
I bought a Ruger 308 rifle for my boyfriend for christmas last year, we lived in california. he never got the gun transferred in his name. he recently moved to oklahoma for a job and it appears we are no longer together. What is the best way for him to get that gun out of my name and in his name? I don't want to have to report it stolen. I just want my name off of it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Ruger 308 rifle for my boyfriend for christmas last year, we lived in california. he never got the gun transferred in his name. he recently moved to oklahoma for a job and it appears we are no longer together. What is the best way for him to get that gun out of my name and in his name? I don't want to have to report it stolen. I just want my name off of it.
Why are you asking people in Oklahoma about a gun registered in California?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

If you bought it for him as a gift and report it stolen that would be a false police report. Not up on the Cali laws so I would go to a lawyer or FFL and ask the question. Be careful about going to the police I have read a couple of stories about going to the police and having unintended consequences out there. May just be anti Cali propaganda but be careful and ask a lawyer.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure that it would hae been "registered" in the first place. Cursory research suggests that California doesn't have a comprehensive firearms registration scheme, and that long guns don't get registered unless they fall into the category of "assault weapons," which a Ruger .308 likely would not. The only paperwork I see would be a 4473, which you would have filled out honestly in your name as it was a bona fide gift (this situation is specifically described as lawful on the 4473 instructions). When he moved here to OK, his bringing it with him wouldn't constitute a transfer, so there's no paperwork to do there, either--the transfers occurred when you bought it from the dealer, and when you gave it to him as a gift.

See, e.g., https://lawcenter.giffords.org/registration-of-firearms-in-california/

DISCLAIMER: I'm a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer, and I'm definitely not admitted to practice in California, or even especially knowledgeable about California's gun laws except to know that they can get goofy. You're best advised to contact a lawyer admitted to practice in California and who has firearms experience to ask this question. Based on my quick research, though, I don't see a problem here. People transfer guns frequently without going through a dealer, so the initial sale will be on a 4473, but the paperwork trail ends there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom