Rifle registration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
POPO asked a question about what she should do, there is no debate,law suit or claim, it is a person asking for advice. OP clearly does not know that everything in your statement is true, asking the question shows ignorance of the subject matter, but I ask again why make a debate out of someone asking for help. She has now been given a couple of paths to take that will get her the answers she needs!!
Isn't asking questions and sharing knowledge what forums such as this are ostensibly for?
Yep.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
POPO asked a question about what she should do, there is no debate,law suit or claim, it is a person asking for advice. OP clearly does not know that everything in your statement is true, asking the question shows ignorance of the subject matter, but I ask again why make a debate out of someone asking for help. She has now been given a couple of paths to take that will get her the answers she needs!!
Isn't asking questions and sharing knowledge what forums such as this are ostensibly for?
Shouldn't we be glad that someone ignorant (note: that's not an insult; I'll readily admit to being ignorant on a great many subects) of the subject is making the effort to become better informed, rather than thumbing her nose at the law?

Apologies to OP for the harsh words some people felt the need to offer.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn't we be glad that someone ignorant (note: that's not an insult; I'll readily admit to being ignorant on a great many subects) of the subject is making the effort to become better informed, rather than thumbing her nose at the law?

Apologies to OP for the harsh words some people felt the need to offer.

Ignorance is why I spend so much time on forums asking questions!! And do I have oooodles of questions !!!:mosh::cool:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
And the instructors prolly knew the difference between a dumb question and some one asking for advice!

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! All kinds of speculation here.

CA does register long guns and hand guns. - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Firearms_Registration

The 'no longer in possession' form - https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/bof-4546-nlip-09-2016.pdf

POPO, simple form and you're done.

( I know of these things because I escaped from that tortured place)
Thank you for the update; this is precisely the reason I disclaimed knowledge of California law. It looks like the long gun registration is only mandated for new purchases; it appears to be optional for purchases prior to 2014. From the California Attorney General's website (as linked from the Wikipedia article):
How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?
  • There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you must submit a Firearm Ownership Report (FOR) Application (BOF 4542A), pdf to the California Department of Justice (the Department) for any firearm you are seeking return where no other record is on file with the Department identifying you as the most recent owner/possessor. Having a FOR application on file with the Department will authorize the return of your firearm in the event it is subsequently lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer. If you purchased a handgun from a properly licensed California firearms dealer and underwent a background check via the state’s Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process, a record of your handgun purchase is already on file with the Department. Therefore, it should not be necessary for you to submit a FOR application for handguns previously purchased in California. Unfortunately, this is not the case with regards to rifles or shotguns. Prior to January 1, 2014, the Department was prohibited by law from retaining DROS long gun information.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#26
Have I misunderstood something?

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for the update; this is precisely the reason I disclaimed knowledge of California law. It looks like the long gun registration is only mandated for new purchases; it appears to be optional for purchases prior to 2014. From the California Attorney General's website (as linked from the Wikipedia article):
How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?
  • There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you must submit a Firearm Ownership Report (FOR) Application (BOF 4542A), pdf to the California Department of Justice (the Department) for any firearm you are seeking return where no other record is on file with the Department identifying you as the most recent owner/possessor. Having a FOR application on file with the Department will authorize the return of your firearm in the event it is subsequently lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer. If you purchased a handgun from a properly licensed California firearms dealer and underwent a background check via the state’s Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process, a record of your handgun purchase is already on file with the Department. Therefore, it should not be necessary for you to submit a FOR application for handguns previously purchased in California. Unfortunately, this is not the case with regards to rifles or shotguns. Prior to January 1, 2014, the Department was prohibited by law from retaining DROS long gun information.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#26
Have I misunderstood something?

Let's go with this:

October 2011 - Governor Brown signs AB 809
AB 809, introduced by Assemblymember Feuer, changes California law to require reporting and retention of long gun information just as it previously required hand gun information.

Beginning Jan 1, 2014, long gun information must be

• collected in the DROS process and sent to CA-DOJ,
  • reported to CA-DOJ by people who move into California from out of state,
  • reported to CA-DOJ as part of intrafamilial transfers
And currently all firearms transfers must go through an 01FFL - this includes CMP as well. Really sucks. Anything reported to CADOJ through DROS(Dealers Record of Sale) is registration - 'retaining'.
"Prior to January 1, 2014, the Department was prohibited by law from retaining DROS long gun information."

Latest posts

Top Bottom