RN pay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I had my c-section my hospital bill has this entry on the itemized bill:

IBUPROFEN, 12 @ $45.00 each

There were some other entries just as outrageous, but that's the one that's stuck with me. I was flabbergasted ...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL. You're the one who started. :tounge2:

I'd say nurse pay is far from the biggest contributing factor to healthcare costs. Our obesity and extreme lack of overall health, nutrition, and fitness is a huge factor that far eclipses RN pay.

I could point out to you so many inequalities and stupidities in pay/demand/staffing issues your head would spin. And yes, staffing IS a considerable expense for many facilities. And when you've got floor nurses making more than some physicians, yes, I'd say it's an issue... how and why it got to be an issue is a whole big quagmire that goes way deeper than the intent of this discussion.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that takes 6 month contracts around the country. She works in premie ward of the hospital and pulls down $75.00 an hour. I would not do what she does when you figure how many of them they loose because of premature birth. She says it is so hard not to get attached to them and then have to loose one.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sis is an RN here in the metro and the pay is ok but in a hospital where you deal with stuff that would make mother Theresa beat someone to death with a hammer for 12 hour shifts, it's not enough. Why healthcare costs are higher in the US than anywhere else in the world is because insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are more corrupt than every mafia family in US history combined. The difference is they pay the government officials huge money to look the other way and they all get rich while the taxpayer gets poorer and poorer paying medical costs. It's an absolute fact when they say that most families in the US are just one major illness or injury away from bankruptcy. That's a cold hard statistic when it's your child being diagnosed with cancer or some other terrible illness, especially when those insurance company claim denials start piling up.

But hey, as long as politicians keep saying there's no problem with the healthcare system then it should work out.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope she gets it, my daughter is a PICU nurse (RN).

And what GM said about the pay is spot on. My daughter made $800 for a single extra shift a couple weeks ago. That equates to just under $70 an hour.

She's pulling for the Neuro ICU, in which it initially bothered her to see so many young people with head injuries, now she's drawn to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom