Ruger 10/22 troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all, I am having FTE problems with one of my dads Ruger 10/22's. I don't own any 10/22's myself, but my dad had a couple, but he doesn't shoot much so most of the rounds that go thru his guns come from me. He has owned this little gun for probably 15 years or more, and it hasn't been shot for at least 1 1/2 years, so I put a new scope on it and took it out to have some fun. Fun I did not have. I couldn't get thru a whole 10 rnd. mag without at least 1 jam, sometimes 2 and 3 jams would occur every 10 rnds. It was probably averaging 1 failure to eject every 5 rnds.
I use bulk federal for most of my shooting. I even used some CCI ammo and had the same result. The new round would come up and go into the chamber, but the "ejected" rnd will get pinched between the slide/bolt and the breech. It is just not kicking them out. I examined the spent cases that got pinched, none are split or cracked, they are clean and shiney just like the ones that do get ejected all the way out. I even completely stripped the gun and cleaned and oiled it correctly and still no improvement.

Does anyone now what my problem here could be? How to fix it?

Thanks Matt

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this can even happen on a 10/22 but my FIL mounted a scope on one of his guns and used screws that were long enough to protrude into the action and they would drag on the bolt.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say to try a different type of ammo, but if it doesn't work with CCI's, it must be something else. That stuff works in pretty much everything.

I hear that some 10/22s benefit from an after-market extractor, like someone else mentioned.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Check that tose mount screws aren't protruding into the action first. When you change something and the gun suddenly stops working, it usually has something to do with the change.

Those Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractors are a great upgrade though!

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the 10-22 causing feeding problems is a sticky mag. A little graphite in a clea mag will fix that. As for the extracting problems, make sure that the spring behind the extractor has a good, clean channel to work in. that also causes some problems. good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom