Ruger LCR Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Givens

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a Ruger LCR snubby in today. I will wring it out in live fire next week, hopefully, but in the meantime I wanted to actually measure its dimensions and compare them to known standards.

My daily BUG is a 1960 vintage Colt Cobra, with after-market wood grips. I also had a new S&W 442, with the current factory rubber grips on it. I used these to compare to the LCR.

Gun cylinder diameter height OA length weight
LCR 1.27” 4.84” 6.32” 13.6 oz
442 1.30” 4.45” 6.41” 14.8 oz
Cobra 1.40” 4.80” 6.54” 16.1 oz
Note- The Cobra holds 6 rds, the Ruger and S&W hold 5.

Frankly, I see no advantage over my 50 year old Colt. The difference in cylinder diameter is why S&W J-frame speedloaders won’t work in the LCR.
More to follow after a couple hundred rounds downrange.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 1 and am really impressed with it. It is very light and shoots the +p loads quite well. I have only shot it out to 10 yards but all hits where on a paper plate center. Standard pressure loads where easy on the hands. I have let several other people try handleing it and all liked it. I have shot it strong and weak hand and have been carrying it weak side front pocket. I have not got a holster yet, the trigger guard is large for some of the pocket holsters I have tried. I will have it with me this Sunday at USSA Steel Challange if anyone would like to handle it. I have been carring the speed strips for reloading. It also has a nice big pinned on front sight.

OSSwill

Marksman
Reaction score
I've put some rounds downrange through the LCR, and I like it. In comparison to the alloy Smith J frame, it's a bit lighter and a bit bigger, but not the kind of difference that matters. It shoots fine, and if anything recoils a bit softer than the Smith. You're right, Tom, there's no advantage that I can find over a Colt or a Smith. If you're set up with a snubby already, there's no reason to change to the Ruger. If you're needing a snubby, this is just another choice!

Will

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they are pretty ugly but I might buy one if the price was right. Since the LCR is polymer and simple castings I would think it would cost about half or two thirds what a Smith 642/442 costs. But since it costs the same or more than a proven and refined S&W, I don't see any need to own one other than curiosity.

Tom Givens

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to shoot the LCR with several types of ammunition, including Winchester white box 130 grain practice ammo; Federal Nyclad 125 grain hollow points; and Buffalo Bore 150 grain hard cast wadcutters. There were no mechanical issues. The sights were well regulated, and all of the loads tested hit acceptably close to point of aim at 5 and 7 yards. The double action pull was fairly smooth and light, but remember this is a sample of one. YMMV.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, by now, I've put around 600 rounds thru mine. Standard velocity and Plus P. My favorite is the new Nyclad. 2d fav is Gold Dot SB +P. Trigger is better than any Smith J frame I've recently owned and recoil is moderated somehow. I think it's a keeper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom