Ruger Security Six Lowback fixed sight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carried a Police Service Six in .357 for awhile. It was a fixed sight 4” barrel with blue finish.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Service Six was .38 special only.

I'd be interested in seeing pics of a Service Six that was NOT a Police Service Six.

I do know the Police Service Six was also made in a .38 Special only configuration.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I paid $400.00 for a as new 4" stainless .38 special Police Service Six from a forum member last year......they are really nice guns.
RugerPolservsixweb_zps6e556299.jpg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I understand it,
(Police) Service Six is fixed sight.
Security Six is adjustable sight.

The early (150-XXxX) were low-backs, some bled over into the 151-XXxX numbers.

I have 3 of the Six revolvers, one in 38Spl, the other two in 357. All working guns, not a good looking one in the bunch.
But they will all outlive me.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The way I understand it,
(Police) Service Six is fixed sight.
Security Six is adjustable sight.

That’s almost always true. The Security Six is the first, and before the Service and Speed models were introduced there were “some” Security Sixes made (I don’t know if it’s a small or medium amount), that were fixed sight (service type) or fixed sight round butt (speed) variations.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They put some thought into the design when they made it. The whole gun can be disassembled without any tools. The slot in the screw in the grips is made to fit the rim of the cartridge case.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing pics of a Service Six that was NOT a Police Service Six.

I do know the Police Service Six was also made in a .38 Special only configuration.

I copied this from Wikipedia. I may have been thinking of the “Speed Six”.

Service-Six
After a few months of production, Ruger renamed the fixed-sight version of the Security-Six the Service-Six or alternatively, the "Police Service-Six". This was largely a marketing decision and an attempt to capitalize on the lucrative law enforcement service revolver market. The Service-Six was normally chambered in .357 Magnum, though Ruger also built versions in .38 Special and 9mm Luger (Parabellum) for some police orders.[2] The U.S. Military contracted for the fixed-sight .38 Special variant adding a lanyard ring to the butt and designating it the M108. It was to replace aging Smith & Wesson Model 10 for issuing to air crews and military police.[citation needed] The 9mm variant featured cylinder chambers bored to headspace the cartridge on the case mouth instead of the rim, using a patented spring moon clip to permit extraction of the fired case. These alterations allowed the rimless 9mm cartridge to be used in a revolver design. Barrel length options for the Service-Six included 2.75 and 4 inches.[2] The 9mm was also marketed under the designation M109.

Speed-SixEdit

Rare Speed-Six variant in 9mm Parabellum, which uses moon clips to chamber the rimless cartridges
Incorporating fixed sights and a round-butt frame, and available in .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38 S&W (.38-200), and 9mm Luger, the Speed-Six was intended for use by plainclothes detectives and others desiring a more concealable handgun. The standard barrel lengths available for these models were the same as those for the Service-Six, but also included a 3-inch length in certain law-enforcement contract orders, such as for the U.S. Postal Service (Model GS33-PS). The .357 Magnum, three-inch barreled model was standard issue to Special Agents of the former U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service[5] as well as Patrol Agents of the U.S. Border Patrol working plain clothes assignments until both agencies adopted .40 caliber semi-automatic pistols.[6] The .38 S&W variant (in England known as the .380 British or .38-200) was equipped with a military-style lanyard ring, and was sold to law enforcement organizations in India.[1][3

Latest posts

Top Bottom