Rut Report 2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRabbit

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bucks are very rutty in far Eastern Oklahoma. Saturday morning, heard a lot of gun shots around my area, but did not seen anything until i decided to walk around the property. i jumped 2 deer, 1 being a decent 8, but could not get a clean shot through the brush. I walked a little further on the ridge top and a monster buck blew and ran off. All i could do was watch him and say "Oh Wow", lol.. end of the day seen a total of 7. The last 2 nights, The activity has really been picking up with bucks trailing does everywhere. I have seen a total of 30+ deer with almost half being shooter bucks trailing or seeking. I'm gonna try my hardest to take off work early so i can make a quick walk through on my property, i don't think a grunt call and rattling will work in my case, so it will be a jump and gun with hopefully a buck stopping for a clean shot. Good luck to everyone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having some issues with that report. Three deer in PA do not speak for the rest of the millions of deer across the US with differing habitat, buck to doe ratios and climate differences.
The only thing I took from that "study" was this, and I agree totally.
Mid-Day Movement
One tip Andy offered for November hunters: You’re not wasting your time if you stay in the stand all day long. While morning and evening movements were always greater than mid-day, movement throughout daylight hours was double to quadruple the levels of pre-rut movement. This is also similar to findings in other GPS studies of buck movements.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having some issues with that report. Three deer in PA do not speak for the rest of the millions of deer across the US with differing habitat, buck to doe ratios and climate differences.
The only thing I took from that "study" was this, and I agree totally.
Mid-Day Movement
One tip Andy offered for November hunters: You’re not wasting your time if you stay in the stand all day long. While morning and evening movements were always greater than mid-day, movement throughout daylight hours was double to quadruple the levels of pre-rut movement. This is also similar to findings in other GPS studies of buck movements.

No argument here.:anyone:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I watch and pattern the deer on a lot of ground for my job. Observation stands and getting set up looking through a spotter tells me different than what the three deer in the study share. I don’t think they wait three days but having witnessed 6 does bred by different bucks this year they don’t leave until they quit standing. Unlike bovines that will only breed once or twice and move along two of those does I watched for over six hours and while they’d move inside the same patch of cover the buck with them bred them too many times to count. A couple I witnessed breed twice then move into too tight of cover to glass only to be within 200yds twelve hours later. And breed a doe (presumably the same one) then. Same two bucks certainly one doe I’m positive was the same one. This was literally opposite ends of a half section I was setting on tank batteries glassing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody's Janitor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Monday and Tuesday mornings were good for deer movement. I saw a lot of young bucks and a couple of decent bucks. This morning sucked for me. Only saw two doe. I dropped my jacket 7 feet from my blind and picked 112 #@%*+# goat head spurs off of it. They suck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had two bucks chasing a doe in the yard this morning and the same two across the fence around noon. She stood for the smaller buck finally but the bigger 10 point came charging in and he got off the doe and they squared off, then they would start chasing the doe again. It was pretty comical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom