S. Dakota firearms mfg industry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Q: Why isn't this story about Oklahoma?

South Dakota Here in Force to Recruit Firearms Industry

January 17, 2012 By Bill Dunn

What comes to mind when you think “South Dakota?” Mount Rushmore?

South Dakota officials want you to think “firearms industry.”

While the vast majority of exhibitors at the SHOT Show are here to sell products, South Dakota is here to convince manufacturers they should be making those products in its state.

Representatives from 13 South Dakota communities are manning a booth at the show this week. The South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) has attended the SHOT Show for the past 11 years, and the state says it continues to see success as a result.

“Last year during the show, South Dakota connected with more than 50 companies. Within four months, two of those companies expanded their operations to South Dakota,” said GOED Commissioner J. Pat Costello. “That movement created jobs and brought new wealth to South Dakota. We’re hopeful our efforts at this year’s SHOT Show will continue to bring new opportunity to South Dakota communities.”

Bar-Sto, a Sturgis, S.D.-based auto pistol barrel manufacturer and recent South Dakota recruit, is joining the South Dakota delegation to encourage businesses to move to South Dakota.

“I moved my business from California to South Dakota two years ago. The difference is night and day. Here, government leaders work with your company to help it be successful. In California, it seemed government leaders did everything they could to hinder business,” said Irv Stone, Bar-Sto Owner.

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development has targeted the firearm industry for the last several years. In 1999, South Dakota was the first state to pass legislation to protect firearms companies from lawsuits. South Dakota’s pro-firearm regulations paired with the state’s business-friendly environment have helped the firearms and ammunition industry continue to blossom in South Dakota.

The state is currently home to more than 50 firearm and ammunition companies. Those companies employ more than 600 people in nearly 20 communities.

http://www.shotshowblog.com/south-dakota-here-in-force-to-recruit-firearms-industry/

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“I moved my business from California to South Dakota two years ago. The difference is night and day. Here, government leaders work with your company to help it be successful. In California, it seemed government leaders did everything they could to hinder business,” said Irv Stone, Bar-Sto Owner.

this says it all

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

this says it all

Any of you actually spent any time in South Dakota?

Not yet.... But I have spent time in Kommiefornia and that guy at Bar-Sto speaks the truth. No way in hell I would start or continue a business there. It's like they want business to leave. Literally.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived there for about 3 years. It's gorgeous country on the west side of the state and the people are nice throughout. The pheasent hunting there is legendary, and all sorts of hunting and fishing are popular so I can see how the gun community would fit right in amongst the locals. They don't just rob businesses from California, they get alot of citizens too. When I moved to Mitchell everybody always asked if I was from California because I talk fast. After I lived there awhile I realized why - there are only 3 kinds of people in South Dakota: 1. Native South Dakotans 2. Minnesotans that moved because they wanted a little more warm weather 3. California's that moved for a better quality of life.

Some said they moved for the low cost of living, tons of them said they wanted to raise their kids in better areas and some just liked the slower pace of a more rural environment. It really was shocking to find out how many Californians were there - apparently a lot of the new blood in Montana comes from Cali as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom