S. Dakota firearms mfg industry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty boring place. The Lakota Souix people are the best thing about it and they have a rought time of it there. It's friggin shameful.

It's not boring if you love winter like I do, I'd go back but it's too far from family and my wife is cold natured.

What do you mean about the Lakota Sioux? The most foul things I heard said about Native Americans when I lived in South Dakota came from my friend Dominik who was full blood himself. I dunno what tribe he was, but I know he despised his own people on the reservation. But he just meant the folks that wanted to reproduce to increase the amount of their check & live in trailers their whole life - instead of work and/or get an education. I think those kind of people are looked down upon regardless of your heritage.

I lived in Mitchell, so if the Lakota Sioux are primarily in the Western part of the state it's possible I just didn't see what you're describing where I lived. But where I lived Indians were just "people" I never saw them treated differently.

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“I moved my business from California to South Dakota two years ago. The difference is night and day. Here, government leaders work with your company to help it be successful. In California, it seemed government leaders did everything they could to hinder business,” said Irv Stone, Bar-Sto Owner.

this says it all

I dont know that this really counts for much. Move to many other states in the nation and it will seem like a night and day difference from California.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For an outdoorsman it's a great state. Elk, mule deer, whitetails, upland game birds, migratory birds, turkey. If you're a motorcycle aficionado, what's better than the Sturgis rally? The "cities" there are the perfect size. Not to mention the black hills are magnificent. But, the winters can be HARSH and there's not really much industry there to provide good jobs especially since the dolts in their state senate struck an agreement with a canuck mining company that shut down any future operation in the big gold mine in Lead, one of the biggest in the US.
South Dakota also has two Cabelas retail stores, Oklahoma has 0. That's really what I envy about SD

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you spent any time in Twentynine Palms, CA? I don't think Irv shed any tears leaving.
I kinda liked it out there. The desert is actually pretty nice. It's a place you can go and not see another person for miles and miles and miles if you get off the roads. Quite the contrast to the rest of the state. But I wasn't in the Marines either so maybe that's why?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty boring place. The Lakota Souix people are the best thing about it and they have a rought time of it there. It's friggin shameful.

That is the understatement of 2012 so far (no offense JB).

For those who don't know:

http://www.linkcenterfoundation.org/id24.html

Some figures state that the life expectancy on the Reservation is 48 years old for men and 52 for women. Other reports state that the average life expectancy on the Reservation is 45 years old. These statistics are far from the 77.5 years of age life expectancy average found in the United States as a whole. According to current USDA Rural Development documents, the Lakota have the lowest life expectancy of any group in America.

Latest posts

Top Bottom