S&W 22A Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked a 22A up from a member here awhile back and have had it out twice now. Dang thing has a bit of a bad rep it seems as an "el cheapo" .22 pistola, not worthy of the same category as the Buckmarks or Rugers...well, lemme just tell you sumthin! This lil 22A is accurate as my Ruger Mark III and eats anything I feed it. And the take-down and put-together part is simple as it can be. Unlike the Ruger, no cussin' and fussin'. It's well balanced in my hand, has decent sights that are easily adjusted, the mags function fine, and it just keeps on chooglin' as long as you keep pulling the trigger. For a mere 2 1/2 bills, it is a great little .22 and I am happy I stumbled on it. My only negative: The rear sight is flush with the rear of the frame, wish they were set in a 1/4 - 1/2" or so.

Last edited:

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like mine, it's real accurate. However, it don't like hollow points. They tend to catch on the mag release. I,m talking cheap bulk pack. In mine, win. probably functions best. Fed. the worst, and rem. is the most accurate, but for some reason, will trip the mag release. On another forum someone else had the same problem with rem., so I reckon it ain't that unusual.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then I must have drawn the lemon 'cuz the brand new right out of the box 22-A1 I bought about 4 years or so ago is a POS. Wouldn't feed 6 rounds of anything in a row without stove piping or an FTF. Couldn't shoot a 2" group at 10 yards. And since I already had a Buckmark I knew it weren't me 'cuz with it I could keep a spinner going for a full 10 rounds at 20 yards.

I had the 22-A1 looked at and after the gunsmith did some work on the mags it'll feed and shoot anything I put in it but it's still all over the place.

If it weren't for my personal pledge to never pawn a lemon off on someone else I'd have sold the thing ages ago. Now it has just sat in my gun safe for the past 4 years as a reminder that sometimes one does get hold of a lemon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom