S&W 340PD Back to The Factory - Again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They had their chance to get it right. Sadly it you want a rock solid revolver that you can trust without reservation right out of the box, you have to pony up for a Korth or find a Manurhin. Ruger is a little better than S&W these days but not by a lot.

Kimber. As surprised as I am to say it, but my K6s is extremely well built.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clearly Jesus C. didn't test your weapon before it shipped.

img_20190410_111819661-jpg.135058

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking just a coincidence but they have really good customer service. I was going to send a model 64 with bad hammer push off to s&w but spdguns here on the forum is a factory trained smith. I’m going to take a couple to him.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimber. As surprised as I am to say it, but my K6s is extremely well built.

I have looked at those pretty closely, sure wish you'd come to the ENS next Saturday and bring it; I'd like to try one out.

Clearly Jesus C. didn't test your weapon before it shipped.

img_20190410_111819661-jpg.135058

I should call S&W in the morning and request him to work on it!

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked at those pretty closely, sure wish you'd come to the ENS next Saturday and bring it; I'd like to try one out.

Till further notice, momma works weekends at the hospital so I'm Mr Mom. I can usually only shoot on Friday afternoons and that's scattered. You can borrow it any time if you're ever close to Tulsa though.

ADDO

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love my 340PD and really hate to hear the problems you are having with yours. Hope they fix it or replace it.

I bought a Kimber K6 last year and I second the opinion above: a fine pistol, well made, and trigger the equal of performance center Smiths.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. I shouldn't complain, after all, they did replace that cylinder at no charge to me, this gun may have had an issue waiting to happen when I got it. So, if they fix it, and don't charge me, great; and if they fix it, and they do charge me, well, that's really gonna be okay too. I just want my gun back and working.
Joel, I have a 629 that is one of the last ones made without the IL, that had the same problem: cylinder skip, they called it, IIRC. I sent it back to the factory and they fixed it and shipped it back to me. I still have it and there are no more problems with it. If memory serves, it didn't take all that long either.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I shipped it back like two weeks ago; I called S&W Customer Service Friday to check on it and all they could say was it should be handled within the next couple of weeks. I wonder what causes this "cylinder skip" anyway?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I shipped it back like two weeks ago; I called S&W Customer Service Friday to check on it and all they could say was it should be handled within the next couple of weeks. I wonder what causes this "cylinder skip" anyway?

If the cylinder is not carrying up properly, it likely due to either the ratchets on the extractor not being cut properly or the hand. I'm assuming that the extractor may have been replaced rather than swapping the old one over from the previous cylinder.

Did you happen to notice if the cylinder was not carrying up on a specific chamber each time or was it occurring at random?

Latest posts

Top Bottom