Saw a bald eagle this afternoon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have three nesting trees within 5 miles of our house. All along the Arkansas River below Kaw Lake.
One is 1/4 mile off our driveway. I got a call from a Sutton observer a couple of years ago asking permission to get a nest count of the fledglings.
It belongs to the neighbor, so I contacted them, got permission and we set up spotting scopes to watch. Saw only one. Since it was a new found nest, she had to give it a name, and they use names where the location is easier to find, so she named it after our road that was pretty cool.
Been three seasons now. The nest gets bigger every year. We see them feeding on road killed deer occasionally, but they fly the river mostly.
Kaw lake has a large population every winter of migrant birds.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's a beauty of a Golden, best way to tell them apart is Goldens have feathers the length of their legs, Bald Eagles have feathering that does not extend to the foot, usually ends around their knee area

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw three at the same time over the Arkansas River Bridge in Sand Springs last week. A real treat. Probably the coolest one I've seen was a mature male flying super low over Veterans Park in Tulsa; how fitting is that?

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here in Adair County I know of 3 active bald eagle nests and have seen several bald eagles in various places during the summer but have not discovered the nest they are utilizing.

During the winter migration we have LOTS of bald eagles, I've seen a dozen at a time enjoying the treats of chicken house compost sheds, and on numerous occasions I've seen 8-10 bald eagles perched together along the Upper Illinois River.

What I have found interesting is the lesser known presence of the golden eagles we have in eastern Oklahoma. I myself have never knowingly laid eyes on one in Oklahoma. But this fall, while investigating a deer that had been killed by a cat, I got these pictures of a sub-adult golden eagle in eastern Adair County. I believe most of the time when we see one, especially in flight we will assume it to be an immature bald eagle.

Just thought some might find it as interesting as I have.
View attachment 114031 View attachment 114032 View attachment 114033
Amazing pictures! Thank you for sharing.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wifeand I saw a bald eagle eating on a dead calf here in Bixby 2 weeks ago. We watched it for about 5 minutes, then it flew to a dead tree and set there for a little bit, while my wife took pictures of it. A little while later, it buzzed two ponds and jumped hundreds of mallards and Canada geese. Very cool sight!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a couple up at mr FIL 1000 acre lease outside of Cookson back in about 2008ish time frame. Also have seen either multiple Goldens or had a couple living close by during the same time frame. Spectacular to watch.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mmm. Been awhile since I had me some eagle.

are you confessing to a criminal act? one should never confess to criminal activity on a public forum, no telling who's watching and reading. if the post is simply a stupid remark you should still be careful, stupid remarks in public places can expose you to scrutiny from both the USDA and Oklahoma Department of Wildlife.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are you confessing to a criminal act? one should never confess to criminal activity on a public forum, no telling who's watching and reading. if the post is simply a stupid remark you should still be careful, stupid remarks in public places can expose you to scrutiny from both the USDA and Oklahoma Department of Wildlife.

Stupid replies of stupid remarks can and usually do expose you to eye rolls from fellow OSA members..
Since I’m on the subject.
I killed an alien once. No, not a human.. a real alien from outer space. He was in an alley smoking drugs, and I really wanted to smoke some illegal drugs. So I killed that alien.

Latest posts

Top Bottom