Saw an OHP officer changing a guy's tire today on I-35

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been impressed with how OHP helps stranded motorists. I think it would vastly improve the image of city cops if they did the same sort of thing. I never even see them stop to check on stranded motorist. They typically drive right on by. I'm not sure if it's a policy thing or what. I know they're not paid to provide free roadside assistance but I would think anything they could do to endear themselves to the communities they're in would be worth while.

Several years ago my car broke a timing belt on SW 104th in OKC. I called a wrecker and the wife and I were waiting with the 4 way flashers on. An OKC officer stopped behind us to see if we needed any help. When I told him a wrecker was on the way he said he would stay in back of us with his overheads on so someone would not rear end us.

Another time we were involved in a bad wreck. After trying to reach some neighbors to come and pick us up without any luck, a Mustang officer offered to give the wife and I a ride home.

SeaLevelRam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to see the OHP officer stop to confirm everythings okay.

Assuming the guy with the flat was physically able to change his own tire, OHP should have sat in his car watching the guy change his own tire.

That is what roadside service is for.

I couldn't stand there watching another person (much less an officer) changing my tire.

But I guess I am not entitled like that guy must be.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know I like the OHP better than the KHP troopers. I lost my wallet while changing a flat tire in Kansas right about dark and was patting the ground trying to find it and a Kansas trooper pulled over and asked me what I was doing. I told him, he said "good luck" and drove off.

Ran out of gas in my Jeep just east of Muskogee and a OHP used a neat little hose in his engine compartment to pump a gallon of gas into my jeep so I could make it into town. Really nice of him.

Both of these incidents have been decades ago.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I like the OHP better than the KHP troopers. I lost my wallet while changing a flat tire in Kansas right about dark and was patting the ground trying to find it and a Kansas trooper pulled over and asked me what I was doing. I told him, he said "good luck" and drove off

Word. KHP pulled me over doing 102 in a 70 one time. WTF was that.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OHP has always been the most professional officers I have ever seen. They have my utmost respect. I have seen them help many people and have never heard any complaints about them. They have always treated me with respect when I dealt with them and they don't act like they have something to prove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom