Sb829

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
SB829 Main Page

SB829 Text

Author - Senator Ralph Shortey

Adds:
Section 1280.1.
POSSESSION OF FIREARM ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
C.
4. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, firearms in the
possession of a person holding any position in a school system as
defined in Section 1-116 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes who
holds a valid handgun license as provided in the Oklahoma Self-
Defense Act, provided:
a. the handgun is carried only concealed as required by
the Act, or the handgun is locked in a classroom or
office, as appropriate, in a lock box designed for
firearms, and
b. the person has notified his or her immediate
supervisor that he or she is carrying a concealed
handgun, or possesses a handgun contained in a lock
box pursuant to subparagraph a of this paragraph,
provided such information shall remain confidential.

Other minor related changes.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like the idea. My wife is a teacher and holds a CCW license. If cowards knew that teachers were packing, I doubt they would attack.

CoachR64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have some concerns here, as an educator. What would prevent any backlash from an admin that does not support this law? Due to the new evaluation system in place, an admin merely needs to mark you as unsatisfactory two consecutive times in a category and you can be terminated. Tenure be damned. That would be my primary concern

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have some concerns here, as an educator. What would prevent any backlash from an admin that does not support this law? Due to the new evaluation system in place, an admin merely needs to mark you as unsatisfactory two consecutive times in a category and you can be terminated. Tenure be damned. That would be my primary concern

I think that kind of discrimination could happen anywhere. I'm wondering if the state will tell the admin that they have to allow it, or if it will be up to the admins to allow it or not. Plus, even though my wife carries and we shoot regularly, I would still like her to attend a defensive pistol class. I would pay for this class myself and I would be willing to pay for other teachers as well. This is definitely motivation for her and I to attend a class, regardless.

CoachR64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the admin can fire you for a different reason, they don't have to say it was the the gun thing. The new system of evaluation makes it way to easy for admins to abuse power and get rid of people they have personal issues with

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the admin can fire you for a different reason, they don't have to say it was the the gun thing. The new system of evaluation makes it way to easy for admins to abuse power and get rid of people they have personal issues with

That's the discrimination I'm talking about that can happen at any job. I mean, I can offend my boss with my political views, demeanor, appearance, etc and he could fire me saying it was performance, or my punctuality, etc.

I agree that it's stupid that Admins can get rid of a teacher that easily. I also think the proposal of teachers kids not preforming well on test, then the teacher would be reprimanded for it ridiculous. That would place a lot of pressure on the teachers to focus on just the test and nothing else. I'm getting out of context here though, so I'll stop.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a teacher and am for it.

And on the other topic:
That would place a lot of pressure on the teachers to focus on just the test and nothing else.
This is the state of education in America. If your job depended on test results based on one day out of the life of a student, what would you focus on?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a teacher and am for it.

And on the other topic: This is the state of education in America. If your job depended on test results based on one day out of the life of a student, what would you focus on?

Exactly. I don't like the idea of it, and I know my wife definitely doesn't. It's just not fair to the kids or the teachers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom