Schools in session,picking kids up with firearms in the vehicle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mods- I hope I posted this in the right place.

Since school is back in session,I am confused about the legalities of having a firearm in my vehicle when picking up my kid. Even though Ive read the rules a million times,I'm an idiot. I thought someone had explained it in a post here but I couldnt find it,so sorry if I'm repeating something already explained.

My kids take the bus but Ive been picking them up after school over the years for dental appointments,etc. When they were smaller I had to get out and go in the school and sign them out,so I had to go thru the hassle of leaving firearms at home. Now that theyre in junior and senior high I havent had to get out, so since I never got out of my Blazer I always figured I was ok and went ahead and picked them up with the gun in the vehicle so I didnt have to swing back by the house to pick it back up on my way in to Tulsa.

Am in the right here? Can someone explain it to me please that knows for sure? And does it matter if you have a CC permit? I have mine,but before they lengthened the permits to 10 years I would some times carry my pistol in the vehicle unloaded like youre supposed to when going to the range in between getting it renewed.

The reason I am asking is that I have to pick my kid up today an hour before school lets out for a dental appt in Tulsa and just found out the new policy of you have to come in and sign them out,junior high kids. I dont want to go thru the hassle of leaving the gun at home and then coming back to get it on our way out of town because we dont have the time as we already have to rush to get to the appt anyways. So my wife called the school to see if my kid could bring something outside for me to sign. No he couldnt they said. Grrrr. My highschool daughter did back when she was in JH. But, a lady said if I called from the parking lot she would bring it out for me to sign. My wife just told them I had a bad knee,which I really do. Still,its more about the gun. And I want to know for sure in case I am asked,and so I can tell my FIL who also carries and also sometimes picks them up.

Any info is appreciated. Thanx.

cinman14

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
C. Firearms and weapons are allowed on school property and deemed not in violation of subsection A of this section as follows:
1. A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property;

Looks like you either need to call the school and let them know you won't be coming in to sign your kid out or you need to leave it at home...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you stay in the car with the gun carried as per SDA, you are good. You cannot leave the vehicle with the gun, and you cannot leave the gun in the vehicle if you leave.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you stay in the car with the gun carried as per SDA, you are good. You cannot leave the vehicle with the gun, and you cannot leave the gun in the vehicle if you leave.

This is correct. If you have to get out of the car, park on the street, or somewhere that is not on school property and leave the gun in the vehicle.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...If you have to get out of the car, park on the street, or somewhere that is not on school property and leave the gun in the vehicle.

^^^^This

I have had to do this several times when picking up my kids. Depending on the size of the parking lot and the surrounding streets, it can be quite a walk.

WRH1234

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I seek enlightenment also.

B. “School property” means any publicly or privately owned property held for purposes of elementary, secondary or vocational technical education, and shall not include property owned by public school districts or private educational entities where such property is leased or rented to an individual or corporation and used for the purposes other than educational.

So with that said, what about an administration building such as the Broken Arrow PAC that has an auditorium and school administrative offices.? It's not used for "education" but administrative task. And no I don't want to be the "test case" ...I've figured the word school property set it as off limits but then seems maybe???

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with that said, what about an administration building such as the Broken Arrow PAC that has an auditorium and school administrative offices.? It's not used for "education" but administrative task. And no I don't want to be the "test case" ...I've figured the word school property set it as off limits but then seems maybe???

The intent of the law is to exempt property held by schools that has no connection at all to education, some of which is open fields remote from the school, leased to farmers. I don't carry into board of education offices. IANAL.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Another law that needs changed. You should atleast be able to leave it in your locked car. Just my .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom