Scope advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need advice from you experienced hunters, as most of my experience comes from shotguns. I have somewhat of a dilemma, I bought a 300 wm complete with a Nikon BDC 4.5-14 x 40, which is already sighted. Then I have a Redfield 3-9 x 50 that is not currently in use. I am wanting to put a scope on my Henry 45/70, for which I will eventually get a smaller (more useful to the shorter accuracy distance of the Henry) scope. I bought the Talley medium height rings that fit the Henry, so both would fit (after removing the iron sights).

What is the opinion as to which one to put on the Henry? I guess the Nikon would see further with a narrower field of vision, and the Redfield has a wider view, with less distance? Don't laugh at me here (at least out loud, lol) I seriously am asking, since I have zero experience, much less knowledge of scopes. The only 2 times I hunted deer, I used an 8mm mauser with open sights, so other than the little tasco on my .22, that's extent of my experience.

I want to use the best option for each rifle from the 2 scopes I have. If I have to take off the Nikon and resight both, I'm ok with that since I just want the best option.

Any thoughts or opinions?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 30 Win Mag is a reach out and touch 'em gun, so the Nikon BDC 4.5-14 x 40 gives a bit of an advantage to distance, but the Redfield 3-9 x 50 should provide better light collection for shots in less than optimum light conditions. So for me and the land I generally hunt I would put the Nikon on the 300 and the Redfield on the 45-70 to assist in light collection in the heavy woods I hunt on the river bottoms. YMMV, I also am a huge fan of Ghost sights on the 45-70... at 100 yards and less they are amazing to my old eyes.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given the Nikon is already sighted in on the 300, it would be kind of silly to take it off. Put the Redfield on the 45/70 and save up for a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5. I have three of the illuminated reticle models, and they are great scope. The last several years I have used one on my crossbow.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a gun with a 3-9x40 Redfield it is very clear and my just purchased 3-9x40 Nikon is just about exactly the same.
I had both of those just recently at the range 100 yard shooting .
I also had an old tasco 3x9 out there and you could see the bullet holes much clearer through the Tasco.
Yep not what I expected either.
Nothing wrong with 3-9 I would run it on the 45-70 and leave the other one alone..if it ain't broke don't fix it.

45-70 will shoot pretty far but you get a rainbow trajectory.
I have shot my 30-06 with 170gr cast at 1400fps, at 500 yards with my scope set on 4 power .
I still had to hold over the target to the point i could no longer see the target through the scope shooting 18" steel plate.

I got 3 hits in a row once i figured the hold over. then a miss and then 1 more hit and I called it good.
Not that you will be shooting 500 yards.
Took my .308 shooting at 300 yards with 6-24x42 scope and then a .243 with 3-9x40 and the .243 shot tighter groups that day.

When hunting i have only cranked my scopes to 10 power max.
Walking or stalking it is on the lowest power setting. this way I have larger field of view and get on the critter really quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom