SE Oklahoma Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hunted Honobia and, by chance, ran onto a bit of the Three Rivers property while down there. Both times I have hunted off Cloudy Rd. area on the south side. I love the area. As close as it gets to chasing the blacktail deer in the Calif. Sierras growing up. Now, I have a few places to hunt that are pretty much bow only (farms an such) but I like the trip...... My question is, anyone hunted Ouachita Mountains? North side of Three Rivers in or around signal mountain or Pickens? Any advice? I'd like to move further North than the Cloudy/Rattan area. I may have to go down there and just scout, but my hunting buddies and I were thinking about leaving two days before rifle season to scout while bow hunting. And info would be appreciated.

zcruse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to hunt muzzle-loader down by pickens but haven't hunted there for years now. It's some good area but I eventually got tired of hunting near all the people with those new semi-automatic "muzzle-loaders" if you know what I mean.... There were quite a few deer but finding them through all the thick trees could be difficult.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hunted Honobia and, by chance, ran onto a bit of the Three Rivers property while down there. Both times I have hunted off Cloudy Rd. area on the south side. I love the area. As close as it gets to chasing the blacktail deer in the Calif. Sierras growing up. Now, I have a few places to hunt that are pretty much bow only (farms an such) but I like the trip...... My question is, anyone hunted Ouachita Mountains? North side of Three Rivers in or around signal mountain or Pickens? Any advice? I'd like to move further North than the Cloudy/Rattan area. I may have to go down there and just scout, but my hunting buddies and I were thinking about leaving two days before rifle season to scout while bow hunting. And info would be appreciated.

I cut my teeth huntin in those areas years ago before a lot of Three Rivers got privatized. Hunted lots over by Mt Herman area, on Jones Trail. When hunting all those pine plantations, best advice I can give is find you a good oak bottom. That's where all the groceries are at this time of year. It can get pretty thick down in there, but with some scouting you can find a good spot.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys...... It does get THICK out there but it is fun! Never not seen deer the times I have gone but it can be a lot of work and I know you must be willing to get off the beaten path. I am hoping the 30 mins I've been spending on the stairmaster over the last couple of weeks will help... If not, thats why I am taking my teenage cousin....

cwhite22

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have hunted the area North of Cloudy for 3 years. Awesome area and have enjoyed it but I am going to make a change this year. Thinking of going North of Pickens and hunt some oak bottoms since the Acorn crop is good this year. Happy hunting !

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have hunted the area North of Cloudy for 3 years. Awesome area and have enjoyed it but I am going to make a change this year. Thinking of going North of Pickens and hunt some oak bottoms since the Acorn crop is good this year. Happy hunting !

Too funny. I am thinking about heading to the Pickens area myself. No other reason than I wanted to try a different area too. Good luck!

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We hunt the SE every year. Its hard to compare the pride of killing a big buck that makes his living eating forage and a few acorns, that you have to walk up steep hills and rocky peaks, and walk your tail off to find where they live. Nothing is easy where we go. Just a simple trip from the truck to the stand is a major workout getting up to it.

We have killed some nice 150 class 10's and seen a few bigger 12's. Its a great area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom