Self Defense using Reloads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally as long as you use quality components you should be fine. but if i were to use reloads for Self Defense itd be with jacketed hollow points and a hot load load like a +p for my 9mm. Either way wouldnt be any different than factory as long as you use good stuff and test em through your weapon of choice before relying on them with your life.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you guys opinion on using reloads?

Not hot loads or anything, but reloads using either lead cast or store bought projectiles and loaded to factory specs.

Are you talking about an opinion on reliabilty or an opinion on what a jury might think if you ever have to face one?

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My bad, acually I was going more towards the how a jury would react side.

Knock on wood, I have yet to have a reload not go off when I pulled the trigger.

I have heard people say a jury would eat you alive, but I cant see why as long as you are not using explosive ammo or something.

I saw a place that sells hollowed out 12 gauge slugs and you fill the hollow with powder and a shotgun primer fits the hole.

Now I can see that being a real problem if you blow someone apart, but regular ammo?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no compelling argument for using reloads for SD. Since they can and have been viewed negatively in previous court cases (though none in this region I'm aware of), any miniscule percieved advantage is overwhelmingly negated by the perception issue.

I tend to use whatever quality self defense ammo is used by a local LE agency. How could there ever be a legal issue regarding ammo selection if you do that?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I would carry my own reloads. If it was a righteous shoot in OK, you'll likely never see a jury anyway. Any competent attorney should be able to destroy any argument based on the ammo used anyway. It is about the shooting not the tools.

BUT, I get my legal advice from my attorney and he doesn't post on this board.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The factory stuff is just a fraction more dependable; my hide is worth that for self defense. Use of self defense ammo, the same brand/SKU that is in use by local law enforcement, will give your defense attorney one less issue to counter.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After 5 years of watching jurors and their reactions, I will forever carry FACTORY loads. I always plink and practice with my reloads, but never carry them.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This makes me curious as well i wodner what tulsaPD and others in the area are using in their duty weapons. first off i would think maybe the hornady tap or along those lines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom