Sen. Cornyn, With NRA Blessing, Proposes Gun Background Checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another problem with this approach is that some of the nut cases going off are using guns that were not purchased by them. The Sandy Hook killer used his mother's guns. And, I suspect that many, if not most of the daily shootings are done with stolen guns. This law would not stop either of these instances.

I do agree that it could potentially stop some gun violence. But there has to be a means for a person to refute the allegations of being "crazy" BEFORE being placed on a list that prevents them from owning and purchasing firearms.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard a psychologist on NPR once discussing how being politically conservative was a form of mental illness. I learned that disbelief in scientific facts like global warming and persistent homophobia and racial intolerance all point out this irrational behavior. He admitted though, sadly, that there wasn't much that could be done about it. The interviewer was saddened by this too.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree. It is already a violation to not disclose an involuntary commitment (not observation period), or adjudication of mental incompetence on the 4473. It's already expected that states will provide those records to the FBI for the NICS system, it's just not funded or mandated (10th Amendment issue).

I want those records transmitted to NICS. They may help keep mentally incompetent persons from purchasing a firearm from an FFL licensee. Adding an incentive for states to voluntarily report this information is literally giving up nothing. It's already illegal for those persons to possess a firearm.

I just don't want Administrative Law Judges for federal agencies (SSA, VA, etc.) and doctor's having any ability to access NICS for reporting persons as prohibited. That's not within the scope of their mission or authority IMO.

I want dangerous criminals to be locked up until they are no longer a danger to us period! we already have a mountain of gun laws.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want dangerous criminals to be locked up until they are no longer a danger to us period! we already have a mountain of gun laws.

Oh I completely agree with you, but I still have to point out that the law is already there. They're just looking at ways to make it more effective. If you look up ineffective in the dictionary, I'm pretty sure that "laws written by Congress" is one of the examples. :rolleyes2

That's the part that's scary. A bunch of educated intellectuals most of if not all of whom have the slightest clue about weapons, their use or capabilities.

Which is why doctors shouldn't have any power to make the adjudication.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, how do you all propose we, as a society, handle the issue of mentally unstable people with firearms? It's obvious that self-diagnosis (i.e., admitting issues on the 4473) won't work. Many preach "mental health" nearly every time there's a mass shooting. Sitting back and saying "psychologists don't know what they are doing" and "doctors don't know what they are doing" and "politicians don't know what they are doing" doesn't fix anything. Somebody is going to do something, so it's best to make a good plan get on the offensive side of this one...otherwise, the psychologists, doctors, and politicians will do something. I can also vouch for the fact that many more psychologists support individual gun rights than you might think.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard a psychologist on NPR once discussing how being politically conservative was a form of mental illness. I learned that disbelief in scientific facts like global warming and persistent homophobia and racial intolerance all point out this irrational behavior. He admitted though, sadly, that there wasn't much that could be done about it. The interviewer was saddened by this too.

Nearly *any* ideology, when taken too far, can be considered mental illness. I'd love to have the transcript to this NPR show, because there's either (a) more to the story than presented here, or (b) they had a quack on.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, how do you all propose we, as a society, handle the issue of mentally unstable people with firearms? It's obvious that self-diagnosis (i.e., admitting issues on the 4473) won't work. Many preach "mental health" nearly every time there's a mass shooting. Sitting back and saying "psychologists don't know what they are doing" and "doctors don't know what they are doing" and "politicians don't know what they are doing" doesn't fix anything. Somebody is going to do something, so it's best to make a good plan get on the offensive side of this one...otherwise, the psychologists, doctors, and politicians will do something. I can also vouch for the fact that many more psychologists support individual gun rights than you might think.

The thing I see that needs to happen is the laws enforced on reporting. Many states enforce it, many do not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom