Sen. Cornyn, With NRA Blessing, Proposes Gun Background Checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This could never happen in our country!

Political abuse of psychiatry is the misuse of psychiatry, including diagnosis, detention, and treatment for the purposes of obstructing the fundamental human rights of certain groups and individuals in a society.[1][2]:491 In other words, abuse of psychiatry including one for political purposes is deliberate action of getting citizens certified, who, because of their mental condition, need neither psychiatric restraint nor psychiatric treatment.[3] Psychiatrists have been involved in human rights abuses in states across the world when the definitions of mental disease were expanded to include political disobedience.[4]:6 As scholars have long argued, governmental and medical institutions code menaces to authority as mental diseases during political disturbances.[5]:14 Nowadays, in many countries, political prisoners are sometimes confined and abused in mental institutions.[6]:3 Psychiatric confinement of sane people is a particularly pernicious form of repression.[7]

Psychiatry possesses a built-in capacity for abuse that is greater than in other areas of medicine.[8]:65 The diagnosis of mental disease allows the state to hold persons against their will and insist upon therapy in their interest and in the broader interests of society.[8]:65 In addition, receiving a psychiatric diagnosis can in itself be regarded as oppressive.[9]:94 In a monolithic state, psychiatry can be used to bypass standard legal procedures for establishing guilt or innocence and allow political incarceration without the ordinary odium attaching to such political trials.[8]:65 The use of hospitals instead of jails prevents the victims from receiving legal aid before the courts, makes indefinite incarceration possible, discredits the individuals and their ideas.[10]:29 In that manner, whenever open trials are undesirable, they are avoided.[10]:29

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry

sure! except I believe psycho mod has tried to dispelled this by stating the general public might be surprised at the amount of Docs that are pro 2nd amendment. It's an old argument that may have legs.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nothing new, the NRA has always been about reducing gun rights to gun permissions. the more involved .gov is in the process, the happier the NRA is.

10859381_10204789166240895_900191438_n.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LICENSE:
The permission granted by competent authority to exercise a certain privilege that, without such authorization, would constitute an illegal act.

Marshal Dillon made everybody check their firearms at the jail. Didn't want anything to happen to Miss Kitty.

My comment above ^^^ makes me wonder about the old westerns where you had to check your guns going into church, and when coming into town.

If that were actually true, we have been fighting this for a long time.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe nothing, I'm very interested in your opinion just the same
I'm not sure what you're asking for. Opinion about what?

This could never happen in our country!

Political abuse of psychiatry is the misuse of psychiatry, including diagnosis, detention, and treatment for the purposes of obstructing the fundamental human rights of certain groups and individuals in a society.[1][2]:491 In other words, abuse of psychiatry including one for political purposes is deliberate action of getting citizens certified, who, because of their mental condition, need neither psychiatric restraint nor psychiatric treatment.[3] Psychiatrists have been involved in human rights abuses in states across the world when the definitions of mental disease were expanded to include political disobedience.[4]:6 As scholars have long argued, governmental and medical institutions code menaces to authority as mental diseases during political disturbances.[5]:14 Nowadays, in many countries, political prisoners are sometimes confined and abused in mental institutions.[6]:3 Psychiatric confinement of sane people is a particularly pernicious form of repression.[7]

Psychiatry possesses a built-in capacity for abuse that is greater than in other areas of medicine.[8]:65 The diagnosis of mental disease allows the state to hold persons against their will and insist upon therapy in their interest and in the broader interests of society.[8]:65 In addition, receiving a psychiatric diagnosis can in itself be regarded as oppressive.[9]:94 In a monolithic state, psychiatry can be used to bypass standard legal procedures for establishing guilt or innocence and allow political incarceration without the ordinary odium attaching to such political trials.[8]:65 The use of hospitals instead of jails prevents the victims from receiving legal aid before the courts, makes indefinite incarceration possible, discredits the individuals and their ideas.[10]:29 In that manner, whenever open trials are undesirable, they are avoided.[10]:29

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry
It *could* happen anywhere, but that doesn't mean it will. What is the point?

So we take a mentally unstable person, and adjudicate them a moron. They can't buy a gun.

Guy today in Nashville goes into a theater with a pellet gun, hatchet and pepper spray. I don't know all of the details, but according to unconfirmed reports, he went through the theater spraying the pepper spray before he was fatally shot by an officer.

Do not know his intentions, but it could have got real ugly if he wanted to make it that way.

How do we prevent this by taking away guns? People will kill with what ever they have at hand to kill with.
I don't think I've seen anyone make the argument that gun control will solve all of these kinds of issues.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we're going to use the "we don't have a gun problem, we have a mental health problem", then part of the mental health discussion will lead directly to firearms restrictions to those people that a vast majority of Americans will agree need restrictions...and that's exactly what's happening. I'm not saying I personally agree with any of this. But, good luck convincing America that everyone should be armed no matter their mental state. And good luck convincing America that more guns will fix the problem when we already have more guns per capita than nearly any other country, and also more gun deaths per capita. You don't have to convince *me* why these relationships exist...it's going to be the growing majority of the public that truly believes more gun control is the answer. Using the same old sayings won't work...using the same old metaphors/comparisons won't work...using the same old statistics won't work. Changes are coming in regard to mental health procedures/processes/diagnoses/etc. that will lead to serious discussions, politically, about gun control...I sure hope the gun community brings more than the traditional, ineffective rhetoric to the next battle. Whining on gun forums isn't going to do s$hit...we had better make some friends with people that support gun control and approach the issue from a new angle...and we better have some good answers to some difficult questions.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, how do you all propose we, as a society, handle the issue of mentally unstable people with firearms? It's obvious that self-diagnosis (i.e., admitting issues on the 4473) won't work. Many preach "mental health" nearly every time there's a mass shooting. Sitting back and saying "psychologists don't know what they are doing" and "doctors don't know what they are doing" and "politicians don't know what they are doing" doesn't fix anything. Somebody is going to do something, so it's best to make a good plan get on the offensive side of this one...otherwise, the psychologists, doctors, and politicians will do something. I can also vouch for the fact that many more psychologists support individual gun rights than you might think.

The mental health system was gutted back in the mid 80's. For the life of me I can't remember her name, but there was a schizophrenic that gained celebrity status with the Hollywood liberal elite. She has a psychiatrist in her back pocket and with the backing of powerful people and her own "expert", she got a lot of mental institutions shut down. Reagan ultimately bowed and signed a law (don't remember which one it was) that pretty much ended mental institutions.

That's when the homeless population exploded and these people became a problem for law enforcement to deal with. It's no coincidence that mass shootings have exploded since the early 90's. People like Adam Lanza would've been committed. Instead, they're pumped full of SSRI's because insurance companies don't want to pay for therapy or in-patient treatment.

The whole sordid mess set back the state of psychiatric care in the U.S. back. Way back. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom