Senate passes a sweeping Tax Reform Bill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Investing probably stimulates the economy exponentially and a lot more than one might think. Depending on the investment, an investor is indirectly loaning money to fund business by loans or stock purchase, personal loans to buy stuff or mortgages, etc. Even if you just put the money in a bank account it just doesn't sit there and rot. Investing is a big driver of economic transactions and activity.
That's kinda splittin hairs. You are right but investing doesn't stimulate business near as much and cash transaction on the retail market.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...because watching people sit in a lecture hall is so endlessly entertaining?

No, because people will balk at supporting a pay raise for teachers but not blink an eye when they pay through the nose to watch a ball game. It's just my opinion. I have always placed education above entertainment.

Woody

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That they will, it's their money they should do as they please. However, what does this have to do with anything? Athletic depts. bring in all sorts of revenue and pay for their own so I'm lost on your logic with regards to how this has anything to do with the latest tax reform?

I didn't bring it up. I was responding to your comment in Post #87.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's kinda splittin hairs. You are right but investing doesn't stimulate business near as much and cash transaction on the retail market.

Not necessarily. Businesses invest in equipment, buildings, marketing, and etc.. It may stimulate just as much if not more. If you buy stock in a business, it isn't to lose money, it's to make more. Widget companies improve their equipment, hire more people to make more widgets, the cost of making widgets goes down, they sell more widgets yet make more money, and more people now demand more of your widget holders, so your business grows, you buy better equipment to improve your widget holders and hire more employees to keep up with the demand, and the economy in Widgetopolous thrives just because the Government of Widgetopolous reduced taxes on the People of Widgetopolous. Tax revenue to the Government of Widgetopolous also goes up,

The trade deficit with Gadgetania also shrinks because the People of Gadgetania can afford more widgets and widget holders, the Gadgetanians have more money to spend on other things and the economy in Gadgetania goes up as well.

Money flows faster and grows.

Woody

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Microeconomics vs Macroeconomics.

I am talking macroeconomics and you are talking microeconomics.

In microeconomics, cash is king. However in macroeconomics, cash is a few steps down on the priority list.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All these companies are making announcements for show. The $1k bonus will be a drop in the bucket. A one time hit. Besides people are gonna need $15hr due to the cost of healthcare. Which will be going up even more starting 2019 I do believe.

You mean the cost of Healthcare is going up just like it has been since Obamacare has been passed? Last year in Oklahoma, BCBS submitted a 50-90% increase in individual rates.

Damn good thing we got the mandate out of there. Obamacare needs to tank because it's not sustainable.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to go back and read what was being posted. I didn't bring it up either..... and was questioning it's relevance to what was being said. Kind of like here.

I never said you brought it up, I simply responded. The relevance seems to be the hit on college athletic department payroll write-offs. Not everyone gets a break with the new tax code.

For a more complete picture, one would need to know how much money athletic departments contribute to education or if they are a drain.

This is, after all, "sweeping tax reform", and no tax reform crumb ought to be swept under the rug.

And, this thread started with a comment of how McConnell appeared to take credit for - or at the least ignore - Trump's success with a campaign promise. We are deep into thread drift.

Woody

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom