Senate passes a sweeping Tax Reform Bill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean the cost of Healthcare is going up just like it has been since Obamacare has been passed? Last year in Oklahoma, BCBS submitted a 50-90% increase in individual rates.

Damn good thing we got the mandate out of there. Obamacare needs to tank because it's not sustainable.

I miss the days before Obamacare when we only saw single digit increases in healthcare costs of less than 10% per year. And when the liberals griped and moaned about how outrageous and agrievous that was. So the liberals took care of that!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Businesses invest in equipment, buildings, marketing, and etc.. It may stimulate just as much if not more. If you buy stock in a business, it isn't to lose money, it's to make more. Widget companies improve their equipment, hire more people to make more widgets, the cost of making widgets goes down, they sell more widgets yet make more money, and more people now demand more of your widget holders, so your business grows, you buy better equipment to improve your widget holders and hire more employees to keep up with the demand, and the economy in Widgetopolous thrives just because the Government of Widgetopolous reduced taxes on the People of Widgetopolous. Tax revenue to the Government of Widgetopolous also goes up,

The trade deficit with Gadgetania also shrinks because the People of Gadgetania can afford more widgets and widget holders, the Gadgetanians have more money to spend on other things and the economy in Gadgetania goes up as well.

Money flows faster and grows.

Woody
Do you see unicorns in your utopia as well?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never said you brought it up, I simply responded. The relevance seems to be the hit on college athletic department payroll write-offs. Not everyone gets a break with the new tax code.

For a more complete picture, one would need to know how much money athletic departments contribute to education or if they are a drain.

This is, after all, "sweeping tax reform", and no tax reform crumb ought to be swept under the rug.

And, this thread started with a comment of how McConnell appeared to take credit for - or at the least ignore - Trump's success with a campaign promise. We are deep into thread drift.

Woody
It's not just athletic departments getting hit--it's any nonprofit paying salaries of over $1 million.

As for contribution/drain on the sponsoring university, most athletic programs are separate corporate entities from the university. OU's football and basketball programs are huge moneymakers, but that money subsidizes less popular sports; still, it's not generally coming from the university proper. Big-name sports programs do tend to be beneficial to their universities, though, in the form of attracting donations.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just athletic departments getting hit--it's any nonprofit paying salaries of over $1 million.

As for contribution/drain on the sponsoring university, most athletic programs are separate corporate entities from the university. OU's football and basketball programs are huge moneymakers, but that money subsidizes less popular sports; still, it's not generally coming from the university proper. Big-name sports programs do tend to be beneficial to their universities, though, in the form of attracting donations.

Thank you.

Woody

hfa68

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean the cost of Healthcare is going up just like it has been since Obamacare has been passed? Last year in Oklahoma, BCBS submitted a 50-90% increase in individual rates.

Damn good thing we got the mandate out of there. Obamacare needs to tank because it's not sustainable.

So are you telling me the rates will go down due to the mandate being removed? Let me guess, we'll have more options. Republicans has/had a chance to fix/replace healthcare. But they can't seem to get their act together. Because maybe if they served the people's interest instead of corporations, stuff might get done. I hate that my insurance and deductible had gone up every year. But maybe not as much as others. I've been blessed to work for a company that is 50k+ employee strong. A company that has participated in Profit Sharing for over 40 years.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So are you telling me the rates will go down due to the mandate being removed? Let me guess, we'll have more options. Republicans has/had a chance to fix/replace healthcare. But they can't seem to get their act together. Because maybe if they served the people's interest instead of corporations, stuff might get done. I hate that my insurance and deductible had gone up every year. But maybe not as much as others. I've been blessed to work for a company that is 50k+ employee strong. A company that has participated in Profit Sharing for over 40 years.

No, of course not. The Government has too much hand in who does what, which create bureaucracy and inefficiency. It will get worse before it gets better, which has to happen to get congress to act. Problem is getting over the hurdle of all the people expecting handouts.

Let me simplify this for you. I shouldn't have to subsidize anyone's healthcare if I don't want to. Healthcare is not a right, you are NOT owed the service of others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom