Shooting Chronograph Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for a chronograph. I have never owned one. I have read thru all of the reviews on Midway USA. Nothing really stood out as being the obvious choice. It seemed like their was always a handful of people that thought the brand they purchased just sucked. I will just use it for basic load workup. Some rifle a little pistol. Mainly wanting to work up some subsonic rifle loads and need to know where my pistol loads are at so I can load some volume. Does anyone have any suggestions. The only thing I know about them is if I get one I can turn my MOA guns to 1/4 MOA guns. :DJust Joking. Any help would really be appreciated. Ohh would like to stay around or under $150 if possiable for a good unit. Thanks Johnny.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chronograph is a tool - most people simply don't know how to use it (I see a lot of "goofy" attempts at the range).
I've been using Chrony F-1 master for years, and never felt need for anything more. You don't use it as much as you would think - I find it more of a "confirm the load" than "find the load" tool. If you just need an occasional load development or load check, you are better off borrowing one.

P.S. You are more than welcome to borrow mine, just let me know.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Moboost. The F1 seemed to have the least amount of crappy reviews. That is really all I need it for. I have loaded a couple of hundred pistol rounds and want to know where they are at before I load a couple of thousand. My uncle has an alpha he said I could use. I just like to have my own stuff.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Alpha is nice, and I enjoyed mine until I let me father borrow it. It can back with a neat double tap from a .308. That was the last time he borrowed it, since then I went to the F1 Master. It's good, but I still prefer the extra features of the Alpha. Either is a good options and will do what you want, its just that one is a no frills unit.

Ronk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my CED M2 chronograph. The downside is that it doesn't meet you $150 goal. Midway has them for $199. The upside is you can individually replace the sensors if someone "misplaces" a shot.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the Chrony F1 and the Pact. I use the Pact control box as a timer much more than I do as a chronograph. This is the second chrony I have owned and
it has been very reliable. The pact has infrared skyscreens which I purchased separately, and it works well when the chrony is having difficulty with light conditions.
I still prefer the chrony. Position of the screens with relation to the angle of the sun has a marked effect on how well it works. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom