Short range rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the rifles I have have been built for long range, they are heavy and in 223, 243, 308, and the last a light barrel 284 Win. with high magnification scopes that well at 40 yards you just see fur :-) I have used these rifles in the woods a couple times (all but the 308 and 284) and while they work I'm more worried about the bullet traveling too far since there are houses around the area, I'm safe, don't get the shakes, hit where I aim and don't shoot in the direction of the houses but still in the back of my mind the "What if" pops up!

I take neck shots 98% of the time due to I don't want some deer going off to die in the neighbors yard and upsetting someone plus I hate to track so accuracy is a huge must could that be accomplished with say a 357 or better yet a 357 Max (I'm not a pistol guy) but in a carbine/rifle? don't think I need anything bigger I mean these are just deer and the 223 with neck shots drops them like a rock.

Guys I love my CZ in 17 Rem but like 99% of my other rifles I would like to build. Anyone know much about a 358?

Hooker, the rounds I shoot work wonderful on deer but I'm more concered about when the bullet passes thru then I loose control of where it goes can't help it I guess I'm a control freak LOL Sorry about the babble! Later,

Kirk

Reaction score
My concern for you would be that .357 bullets traveling at 1800-2200 fps give or take are just going to pass through on neck shots (sometimes), and you have to track or even lose the animal. True that high-speed rounds like the .223 work like magic on neck shots, because it's all about the expansion/explosiveness (shock waves interfering with the spinal column), but the .357, it may or may not. Probably will still drop them the same way if you're using soft self-defense style bullets like 125s. But a 158 or 180 going at a slower speed may not only fail to expand/explode in the neck to stop the deer, it also may keep on going which is your fear. Not so much of a concern with a rutting buck with a thick neck, but on a doe..... So I wouldn't rule it out, but for neck shots, if I were you, I'd just build a .223, .22-250, or .243 in a short, light handy version with a short-range optic (1-4, 1.5-5, 1.5-6, 2-7, or similar). Then you're not adding a caliber to the inventory. My opinion is that a .243 win with 80-85 gr bullets is the perfect neck-shot deer-killing mo-sheen. And also makes for a fun show if you run across wily coyote or Mr. crow. Or anything else in the woods you wish to dispatch for that matter.

What about an Oly Arms AR in .243 WSSM or .25 WSSM, or other AR in 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc? That's something different, light, handy, and would shoot a bullet that is fast enough to violently expand on neck shots, and yet big enough to penetrate if you need to take a shot to the vitals.

I like this idea in the 7.62x39.

Yep, arguably the perfect deer rifle, with appropriate hunting or handloads. Moderate velocity, just a smidge short of the ballistics of the .30-30, which has probably killed more legal deer than any other caliber - and talk about lightweight!

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I presume what you're after is deer. Consider the following:

1. If you're in a tree stand shooting down, it doesn't really matter what you're shooting since you'll be shooting into the ground.

2. If there are trees and your vision is obscured, it doesn't matter what you're shooting, you have to know what is in the direction you're shooting be it a neighbor's kid, house etc. If you know what is in the direction you're shooting, once again, it doesn't matter so much what you shoot. Even a shotgun slug or a handgun bullet can go a long way and a heavy bullet will go through a lot of stuff before stopping.

All my deer hunting has been in areas with homes within 300 to 400 yards of me. The cartridges I've used successfully in these areas have been:

1. 222 Remington
2. 22-250 Remington
3. 25-06
4. 270 Winchester
5. 7mm Remington Magnum
6. 308 Winchester
7. 30/06 Springfield
8. 300 Weatherby Magnum

Do you see any "short range" so called "brush buster" cartridges there?

All that said, I think the ones that make the most sense are, believe it or not, the .224 caliber cartridges. If you have a positive ID of your target and it's close range, they have plenty of power and are not as likely to ricochet.

By the way, the longest range at which I've taken a deer was a 360 yard one shot kill with a 22-250.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just love the 22-250 for a deer rifle but I got rid of it for some reason? after a mess of thought I'm thinking that another 223 with a short light barrel may be my best bet! I thought about another 243 but I'm thinking the muzzle blast would be crazy loud with a short barrel I know my 18" 788 Rem was crazy loud! plus I would get the accuracy to take neck shots with confidence. The deer hunting where I'm at I would really not call hunting but more of a shopping kind of thing, walk over there anytime of day and see deer, were going to have to get rid of a BUNCH to get the herd back to a healthy number or that's what the state guys told the landowner and I. Guys thanks a mess for the ideas and putting ideas in my head of going some other directions funny how you end up going with your first idea in the long run.

Oh and the slug gun thing would be ok and I thought about it pretty hard but the recoil! messed up the shoulder pretty good several years ago and well it doesn't like those things that cause pain, I don't even shoot my 12ga bird hunting anymore. Later,
Kirk

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd feel like a girl wearing a bra :lmfao: na I have just gotten to the point that I don't like heavy recoil so I build rifles that don't kick too awful bad and yes they have good recoil pads! haven't tried the Limbsaver pad yet but hear good things about them. I have come to find out that a smaller rifle that you don't worry about it beating you down will kill critters much better than then those big kickin' magnums. Funny my little 223 will drop a deer PDQ and the 243 if you can see them and read the wind right they go down fast just have to put the bullet in the right place :naughty: Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom