Short range rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a 260 rem or 7-08 would be perfect. Also both fit a short action/short barrell real well. Matched with a variable scope in the 2-7 power range and you have the optimal setup for your needs.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with a 1873 lever action in .45 Colt :thumbup3:

Sounds like you need a short barreled Ruger M77 International. I'm shooting one in .243 and it is a great woods rifle.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger bolt action 44 magnum, I like the idea of the cz 527 in 7.62x39 too, a handy rifle in ??? Whatever caliber you choose, stevens 340 30-30.
You can get a handy rifle for round $200 or a new Stevens 200 bolt action in different calibers for around 300, why bother building?

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading over this again....I would look at something like a .223 or a carbine shooting a .357 or .44 mag round. The 7.62x39 & 30-30 actually go through trees better than you think. A .223 to the head or neck might be best. Or you may consider buck shot. Forget slugs, too much penetration for what you want.

orion

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its prolly a bad werd n here but a hipoint 9mm carbine would prolly be just fine for what you are lookin for hi point will be comin out w/ a 45 here soon but the 9mm ammo is cheaper just my thought

and before peeps get to bashin on hp remember they are a cheap american made line of guns with lifetime warranties :yelclap::yelclap:

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe after a weekends thoughts I'm going to try and sell off my Mossberg 500A parkerized since I've never shot it in the year I've had it and pick up a Steven 200 in 223, cut it down to 20" might put a straight 4X on it, a B&C stock and if I can't get the trigger good just purchase a SSS trigger I know they are good and have me a nice little rig that the 9 yr. old can get her first deer this year ;-) that would stoke me more than me getting a monster buck!

Why build? I don't like factory rifles, I'm too picky!

I looked at some of the Handi-rifles and they just didn't do it for me for some reason, maybe fthe fact that another $50 bucks I could have a bolt gun that I could make it to fit me like I want. Nothing wrong with them just personal preference I guess.

I think going with a 223 and since I load I can get me a bullet/powder combination that will shoot well enough to add that confidence to take those neck shots, heck the 223 and 243 I have now I know if I put the X on it and squeeze the trigger the bullet IS going to hit wherever the X was when it goes BOOM.

Fella's again thanks for your imput now the trick is to get the Mossy sold off and find a Stevens in 223 I looked this weekend when I was in MacAlister and didn't find a single one! Later,

Kirk

Reaction score
I posted a long reply but it got erased when I tried to submit it - connection problems.

Bottom line, I think the .223 rem is an excellent plan for reasons I'll mention later. I think it will work great for both vitals and neck shots with something like a 64 gr powerpoint or similar, and be in fact superior to a .22-250 (which uses a long twist and light bullets).

Fine fine plan, IMO, in your situation, both cartridge and rifle (Stephens 200). Good luck and report back with deer pics please!

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot many deer with a 22-250 and 55gr. Sierra Gameking bullets and a few with the 223 and same bullet, I like the idea of the Stevens and 1-9 twist barrel same as my Savage so I know I could shoot up to the 75gr. pills and be ok. I'm loading some of the 55gr. GK bullets for a friends 250 right now. I think the little 223 is a very underestimated hunting rifle it all boils down to can you get the bullet in the right place.

Has anyone seen any of the Stevens 200's in 223 around town? I promise this will be the last rifle for a littlewhile! do AI mags and mag conversions count against rifle purchases? if not then I'm golden! well as long as the girlfriend doesn't find out that is :police2: Later,

Kirk

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ideas expressed in this thread concerning over penetration are legitimate concerns. Avoid the .680 Rip Snorter. It could circumnavigate the globe and smack you in the ass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom