Shot Rifleman at an Appleseed? want to help teach kids marksmanship this Saturday?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy!

Like kids? Like shooting? How would you like to help introduce over 1,000 kids and their parents to rifle marksmanship this Saturday? Project Appleseed is attending the 2012 National Wild Turkey Federation's JAKES Day event in Grove, OK this weekend. This is a huge event in NE Oklahoma. It is all about introducing kids to our American heritage of outdoorsmanship and the shooting sports.

Where do you come in? Well, we need a lot of manpower to be able to run this event. Specifically, we need RSOs and coaches. NWTF rules require a 1/1 Instructor/student ratio on the firing line, with an instructor single-loading the rifle for the child and handing it to him to fire. The problem is that we will be teaching groups of 12-15 kids at a time, and right now we only have about 4 Instructors signed up for the event. This means that unless we have more help, we will have to run the kids through the shooting portion of the event in relays of just a few kids each, which will eat up our time considerably (we only have 40 minutes with each group of kids). By Appleseed rules, anyone who has shot Rifleman is qualified to put on an orange hat, enforce safety rules, and coach a student in rifle marksmanship. Of course our experienced instructor staff will be right there with you, and we will brief you on our procedures. Don't worry -- you won't be required to teach in front of a group or anything of that nature! Just performing RSO duties, and coaching/supervising kids as they shoot, including loading the rifle for them.

Anyone who wants to attend will need to be on site in Grove, OK by at least 8:30 a.m. on Saturday. There is also a banquet for all event volunteers Friday night before the event, for anyone who wants to attend. You will also be able to camp on-site Friday night, or stay in one of the hotels in the Grove area. I am planning on attending the banquet, and camping Friday night.

Anyone who is interested in helping out needs to PM, e-mail, or call me. My e-mail is [email protected]. My phone number is 4o5 88o o5o6.

I will be sending out further details to anyone who is interested in helping out, and posting them as they become available.

If you have already proven yourself by shooting Rifleman, I challenge you to take the next step and help pass on the heritage to the next generation.

See you on the firing line!

henschman

Latest posts

Top Bottom