Should College Athletes Be Paid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just saw a commercial for Real Sports on HBO,,They have an upcoming episode discussing if college athletes should be paid or compensated more besides what is normally given to athletes currently ..
I am not sure besides a "full ride" of tuition & housing, what else Athletes receive in compensation for playing? Should the Cost of tuition be taxed also?

The shows highlights said being its a Multi Billion dollar money maker for schools.

Whats you opinion on it? I dont have have stand for or against it..

Last edited:

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought they already were paid. Free housing, food, laundry service, and they can shoot pool all day as a class. Free shuttle service with their own private dorms. What else do they need.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GIven their restrictions on working, they pretty much have zero spending cash. I believe a small stipend is in order!

ETA: there are a few schools that pay with the blessing of the NCAA, so why not everyone?

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that if they are going to school for free, they are getting paid. Thats just my 2 cents.

I see your point..
Students with academic only scholarships receive similar benefits of free tuition ect. Yet are not required to do anything other than attend class.

Not having a strong opinion either way so the above is only to stimulate debate.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought they already were paid. Free housing, food, laundry service, and they can shoot pool all day as a class. Free shuttle service with their own private dorms. What else do they need.

not everywhere. some schools don't allow athlete dorms and i think the only laundry that gets done for most of them are uniforms and practice gear.

I'll say this, from the time i spend tutoring athletes here, they earn every dollar that is spent on them. Maybe not in the classroom, but the schedules these kids keep sucks.

There are big flaws in the system, though, and i have zero use for the NCAA. There are big bucks being made by these schools and things do need to change. Will paying players fix this? I doubt it, but the current system creates most of the problems.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why is the limit placed at tuition & housing though?
Who sets the limits where compensation stops and who does that benefit in the end? The player, the school, other students, the staff?
Why are the current limits in place for compensation and do they make sense to be applied today..Anyone feel the compensation is to much, by giving free tuition and board?

Maybe the limits are in place to keep the player from straying from academics instead of making money? I think this maybe the case also.

Last edited:

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the average cost for a year of college? Room, board, tuition, tutelage, everything? 20K? 30K? 20K x 4 = 80K. 30K x 4 = 120K. And pick of the litter for everything from summer jobs to girls for 4 years. And a venue to show their stuff if they're pro material. At the end of it all they get a degree, as long as they do their part in the classroom. That's a way better deal than most kids get from 18-22. I figure they're getting paid enough. So what if the football program generates massive amounts of money. Nobody is forcing anyone to play the game.

joemonday

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll say amen to Cinaet. I received a full 4 year football scholarship at TU and am thankful for it and most of us would have played for free. The scholarship was just a bonus and blessing. If someone thanks they should be paid, they should quit sports, get a job, finish school and be on their way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom