Should colleges pay athletes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scholarship or pay or both

• Total voters

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should colleges pay athletes? Or are scholarships enough?

Keep in mind that all athletes would get paid the same, not just football, baseball and basketball. Also included in the scholarship currently is free room and board, free health care, free tutoring, per diem on road trips where most things are catered anyway. For the more elite you get your resume broadcast on national television every week and get name recognition even if you do not move on to being a pro in your sport.

What say you OSA.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhhh...... No
First off where would the $ come from?
Plus there are a lot more college athletics then just Football, baseball and basketball...
There are a ton of other factors that go into that as well.
Hell if they are on a ride then that also means they are getting a free education. That in itself can be a huge payment!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told the stipend that a few OU players received per month and it wasn't much, especially with the amount of time involved. College sports is big business and the whole non-profit collegiate sport spiel is BS. They should get more, just my opinion.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at it this way
Football may generate $20milllon but Volley Ball on brings in $20k. Football $ already cover almost all other sports bills as it is. If all athletes get paid the same that means more money gets taken from Football to pay other less generating sports.
Now if pay has to be the same across the board that would mean scholarships will to. At a big D1 like OU, Football gets 85 but baseball only gets 11.8 so how will that work out
Plus a big D1 school can afford it but a small D1 or D2 and Jucos can't.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, do North Dakota U. athletes get the same pay as OU athletes? Keep in mind that North Dakota U. doesn't generate those millions and millions that OU does.

Should an OU soccer player get the same as an OU football player?

How many schools will have to drop how many sports if they have to begin paying players? Who loses when that happens?

There's a great big can of worms here someplace.

big-triple-d

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that they should be payed while in school, but if someone wants to give them money I don't see anything wrong with it. I know it's a slippery slope but if a private person wants to support a college student its their money. The bigger in justice is the use of players images after they have graduated. I see no reason the NCAA should get to profit off former player's. If they want to use a player to make money then they need to play a royalty fee to that player.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll say that they should at least be allowed to. Worried about it not being competitive anymore? Make it a work study program, pay em $9/hour for up to 20 hours a week.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll say that they should at least be allowed to. Worried about it not being competitive anymore? Make it a work study program, pay em $9/hour for up to 20 hours a week.

Here is an idea...
A bunch of these athletes aren't in college to get their education. Paying them won't help them graduate. They should pay for GPA each semester.
4.0 =$2000, 3.5=1500, 3.0=1000, 2.5=500, 2.0=your barely eligible (no money)
Of course the student body would go ape chit over that. But these athletes can't get jobs so they have an explanation for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom